Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Changes Coming

Big Changes Coming

Hard to believe I've been in New Mexico for five years already. The big news is that the owners of the gallery I have been successfully managing for the past five years put it up for sale a few weeks ago; it spent nine days on the market and already has a buyer. I knew it wouldn't take long but the speed of the process is ramping up. I have now moved my studio tools and stuff back home (which is only a few minutes away from the gallery) and will set up a dedicated jewelry area in our studio. I am going to splurge on my birthday this weekend and get an actual metalsmithing workbench.

The next few weeks will be spent getting through the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque (the busiest time of the year), and then after that I will spend most days dismantling the gallery and getting artwork back to the artists, and all the other cleanup that it will take to empty the place. My employers have always been very good to me and I will receive a paycheck through December, plus a nice severance check so I will have a little cushion before I decide what I want to do next.

It is kind of exciting to wonder what I will do next now that I am firmly established here, married and with a house. Had I remained single, this would've been a HUGE sea change wondering what I was going to do when I would've lost my tiny living space behind the gallery. There are no rentals in the area at all, so I really would have been faced with a huge decision on whether or not to stay in New Mexico at all.

As far as future work goes, a lot is contingent on how my hands/wrists hold up. I am still having a lot of problems with them. I can make a "little" jewelry each week, but can barely play my guitar anymore or do anything remotely repetitive, so a lot of the kind of physical jobs I used to do in the past are going to be out for me. I don't really relish sitting all day in someone else's gallery all day twiddling my thumbs, as I like to be active at work. I'm thinking that at first I would like to just work part-time somewhere (coffee shop? the tavern?) while I spend my other time trying to make enough jewelry to add a third gallery. The nice thing is as I can take a little time deciding all this. I'm probably going to end up having yet some more hand surgery in December due to "bone spurs" on the outsides of my hands causing the tendons to be irritated.

It's kind of weird to think of the cycle that every four to five years everything in my life completely changes. This has been going on for years like this!
    Last edited by SiouzQ.; 9-27-21 at 1:32pm.

Life is definitely change! So are the new owners going to manage the gallery themselves? Working part time would be great.

I love the attitude you are expressing with such big changes - excitement, anticipation, adventure! Good luck with whatever the future holds.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yes, you are very resilient and adventurous, SiouzQ!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow, changes! Hope it goes well.

Good to see you posting, SiouzQ. It is hard to believe it's been five years! Interesting observation about your life changing every five years - maybe you should write a book.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Very inspiring!

I like your mindset, Siouxie! On to the next adventure, eh?!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

SIouz, Thanks for the update. I remember you saying that that gallery was not gonna be around forever and you knew it was somewhat short term when you moved there. I’m really glad you moved to New Mexico you’ve got some interesting options now and I hope you can make something work.

Good luck on your latest upheaval; I can't help thinking this is a good thing for you!

Thread Information