Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other

Other

I just read that “other” is the second largest racial category after “white” in 2020 census reporting. Apparently a lot of people don’t identify in ways the government would prefer them to. Personally, I find that to be a hopeful sign.

Isn't it because there are an increasing number of biracial or multiracial people?
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Isn't it because there are an increasing number of biracial or multiracial people?
    That’s what I remember reading. If I remember correctly the census doesn’t allow people to choose two or more categories. But I agree, the sooner we can get past caring about people’s race the better off the country will be. But for now we still have the grandparents who tried to prevent black kids from going to school with their white children trying to prevent the teaching of that occurrence to kids today.

I don't recall about the census, but I have checked other for both gender and race on certain forms on general principles.

But how will Congress provide race- based pork if it cannot identify minority enclaves?

When given the option to write my race rather than check a box I put down Human.

Yeah I do that too, jeppy - and also mark "other" on many forms. Nothing to do with my ethnicity, everything to do with being categorized.

If that is a trend, it will make it really hard for the Census Bureau to come up with any good data. As a market researcher, I'm disappointed to know that many people will put "other" even if their race can be clearly identified. This is not a job application. What is it to you if the Government knows you are of a certain race? Funny how people will post selfies, announce vacations on Facebook, participate in identity politics, but refuse to tell the Government their race/ethnicity.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What is it to you if the Government knows you are of a certain race? Funny how people will post selfies, announce vacations on Facebook, participate in identity politics, but refuse to tell the Government their race/ethnicity.
    I think it has more to do with a principled response than anything else. To paraphrase The Kinks, "It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world" when the government reserves the right to classify you by race while also reserving the right to prosecute any other institution doing the same.

I would also think that anyone who shared MLK's dream that "my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." would try to honor that dream by refusing to be categorized by their race by any person or institution that may harm them.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What is it to you if the Government knows you are of a certain race?
    What is it to the government where I believe my ancestors came from? Most uses of that information will be the application of “justice” along ridiculously crudely drawn lines. I prefer a little more granularity in determining who has been unfair to whom. In this era where people expect public institutions to issue punishments and rewards based on self-identified race, maybe answering “other” is a way of taking the Fifth.

Thread Information