Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other

I’m curious who is expecting punishment or reward based on race?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Rewards - American Rescue Plan funding has a big racial component. Read the criteria and you will see.

I didn’t even have to go beyond the first Googled hit to get to an authoritative source describing race based monies from Congress.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evanger...h=7855ce4b1648

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    The funny part is you may not be exactly what you were told. Although I have had great difficulty tracking down relatives, I was more Native American and African than I thought when my DNA was done. Family secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    The funny part is you may not be exactly what you were told. Although I have had great difficulty tracking down relatives, I was more Native American and African than I thought when my DNA was done. Family secrets.
    Good point! So I guess the question is more a matter of what we think we are!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I didn’t even have to go beyond the first Googled hit to get to an authoritative source describing race based monies from Congress.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evanger...h=7855ce4b1648
    Focusing funding during a pandemic on groups that were most impacted by it is giving them a reward? Or is it a punishment?

If that is a trend, it will make it really hard for the Census Bureau to come up with any good data. As a market researcher, I'm disappointed to know that many people will put "other" even if their race can be clearly identified. This is not a job application. What is it to you if the Government knows you are of a certain race? Funny how people will post selfies, announce vacations on Facebook, participate in identity politics, but refuse to tell the Government their race/ethnicity.
    I would probably tell the census (I have no idea what I did) and maybe them alone, but the thing is 100 other things ask it and it's none of their business. It's really not, so I often mark refuse to state or something too. And if other's do too even on the census, it's partly because they are used to answering the question that way for ever 2 bit nobody asking the question for a survey including a job application, when it's none of their business and irrelevant.
    Trees don't grow on money

Focusing funding during a pandemic on groups that were most impacted by it is giving them a reward? Or is it a punishment?
    dude, federal monies going to minority-identified communities has a long history, far beyond Covid. I did lazy Googling and came up with this first one that talks about providing communications technology to historically black and Hispanic college communities.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...bill/4422/text

All you have to do is poke around in the vast Internet world of information about federal block grants to see which ones are and have been targeted to minority communities. The census is important to race-based government funding. Of course there are programs targeted to specific individuals of minority status, but that’s not really what I am talking about here.

As to your question about reward vs punishment, I have no idea. You do you, and answer your own question.

I don’t think the covid funding targeting hard hit communities is reward or punishment. It is simply acknowledging that the money should go where it was most needed.

Thread Information