Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
WaitÂ…what?

you make vanilla from vodka?
It's pretty easy use 2-3 vanilla beans for every 8oz of vodka. With a sharp knife split the bean in half the long way and put into the container.I use mason jars, give it a shake once a day for two weeks and let it sit for 2 months in a cool dark place. If possible let it sit for 6-12 months since the longer it sits the more the flavors develop. For gift giving pour into amber glass bottles, add a pretty bow and label.

I buy a pack of 25 vanilla beans from Amazon and divide them between two wide mouth quart jars. I add vodka one 1.75L bottle fills up both jars. That covered my baking needs plus gifts for a year pre covid.

It's pretty easy to turn the leftover vanilla beans into vanilla sugar. With the tip of a sharp knife carefully scrape all the seed from the bean. Add to 1 cup sugar in a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds until the seeds are distributed in the sugar. Pour the sugar in a container. Once complete put the pods in the sugar. Let set for a couple of weeks then enjoy.

If you're in a hurry add 1 tablespoon to 1 cup of sugar and mix well with a whisk . Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and pour the sugar on the cookie sheet. Try your best to smooth it out as flat as possible. Wait 1-2 hours then break it up the best you can and put in a nice container.