Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: October Frugals

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    No heat or AC. It’s 67 when we get up and 75 by the afternoon.
    Actually, the temps are a bit different but we've never had AC in this house and we haven't turned the heat on yet. I'm loving the fall weather!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I solved our heating problem during the day…I cook. Not frugal, as I’m sure the stove uses a lot more electricity than the heat pump! However, I’m still busy canning etc.

Today’s Frugal things were making cranberry jelly, making apple peeling and core jelly, and roasting tomatoes for the freezer. I have red currants straining to make jelly tomorrow morning.

Tyvee, I learned about budget meetings from Hope and Larry Ware’s YouTube channel, Under The Median. The key to getting buy-in from my reluctant Hubby was emphasizing we were on the same team and working as a team together! It didn’t hurt that I made sure to sweeten him up with a mid-morning dessert/snack for the meeting.

I cooked in the oven yesterday and it warmed up the house.

I actually made the red currant jelly last evening, along with some failed strawberry jam, which is now strawberry syrup. I’m not sure what’s up today. I hope to do some baking, but we’ll see.

Been regularly bringing lunch to work and the savings are adding up.

RedSpruce: I think warming the house as a by-product of cooking is frugal. Now if you were just running the stove to heat your house, that might not be the most cost-effective way to do it.

Thanks rosarugosa!

Today I switched to baking. I made 24 blueberry oatmeal muffins and 30 two-bite brownies. I have yogurt making in my Instant Pot. It’s almost finished.

I’ve been a bit tired today, so .I’ve spent a lot of time resting. Also a lot of time texting with family and friends.

It's fairly nice weather here so no heat or ac needed. Windows open at the moment. Have not run the dryer for about a month as I've been able to do laundry between the rains. Second child has moved back home for a bit to retrain for a new career (hoping it works out for them!!). As we have been supporting them for a l o n g while, we are hoping this will save us some money and help them rebuild their battered self-confidence. I just hope the savings isn't outweighed by mental health "costs". So far, so good, but it's early days. Trying HARD to break my habit of buying what we want, when we want it. As we don't want much it's not too bad - and mostly food centered- but I have gotten out of the habit of watching costs closely. We are eating much healthier and I don't want to go back to rice and beans, pasta, and other inexpensive foods, but do want to make sure we're getting as much bang for our bucks as we can, within reason. Do have some mini-frugals: pulled some fall silk flowers/leaves from my yard-sale stash and made a quick arrangement this AM for DH to take to the cemetery. He goes every other month, when we have to go to town for a bi-monthly med apt. Saves the cost of new flowers, either silk or real. Brought home the old arrangement to clean and refresh for another time. Coordinated other errands along today's route, and was able to fill the gas tank for 30 cents a gallon less than our local stations were this morning. So not much, but something! :- )

Bought some stuff at the last auction that included our outgoing furniture & stuff: a small spring scale, a drawer full of kitchen tools ($3, it has 3 pieces I want), rakes and a dethatching tool. There's an extra leaf rake in there, but other than that, the garden equipment pieces are all things I'd contemplated buying and hadn't. The spring scale is my only indulgence. I'll use it with a basket of viny house plants.

I'm picking up the small items of mine that didn't sell and probably dropping off a marble piece for making candy, which I don't ever do these days, and the piece of an apple ladder we used to hang our pots & pans for a long time.

If she agrees and I can take those, then the yard will be cleaner. Yay!

My Instant Pot yogurt turned out watery, so I’m straining the liquid out of it. Out of a gallon of reconstituted skim milk I will get 2 quarts of whey and 2 quarts of yogurt. I’m not sure it’s worth it if I have to go through the extra step and time of straining it. Plus trying to figure out what to do with the whey. The Instant Pot costs more than the yogurt maker to run, but it also makes twice the amount of yogurt. But the yogurt is lower quality in my opinion. It also takes almost twice as long to set. Hmmm…

Thread Information