Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: October Frugals

Some people taste the bitterness in vegetables, so don't like them much. But more vegetables in stir-fries, soups, meat loaf, etc. might work. I can't get really enthusiastic about a bowl of say, broccoli, by itself--but I love the variety vegetables bring to the table. Also, aliums!

This week I went to Goodwill. It’s been months since I’ve been there. DH needed more shorts.

They don’t have any shorts in stock. Apparently they’re trying to mimic retail stores and stocking only seasonal stuff now. That is annoying because their shorts are $4. When I jump over to eBay men’s shorts they start at $10. This is not frugal when we both like the $4 shorts just fine, and DH is easy to fit in shorts.

I will say that one nice change they’ve made is to put a price tag on everything. That’s different because their bedding was never priced and I never knew how much things were. But the main improvement has printing size on the tags attached to each garment. That is a wonderful improvement.

I don’t think they are color-sorting anymore though. That was a trend they started a couple years ago where they sorted all the tops by color. I didn’t care about that.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-9-21 at 2:58pm.

Continuing to take breakfast and lunch to work. I realized that i wanted more caffeine from tea so I put two teabags in my 20oz travel mug and that does the trick. A wee bit of sugar and some milk. Continuing to play around with options on the rebreather I want as some are much less expensive than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Continuing to take breakfast and lunch to work. I realized that i wanted more caffeine from tea so I put two teabags in my 20oz travel mug and that does the trick. A wee bit of sugar and some milk. Continuing to play around with options on the rebreather I want as some are much less expensive than others.
    More caffeine is always the right choice!

Continuing to eat free snacks at work.

My new hobby of fighting mask mandates is low cost so far. With cooler weather I am also walking more, continuing to read books I get from a library in an adjacent community, and I have used mainly paint on hand to touch up different areas of the house.

Going shopping doesn't appeal to me right now. I want to save in case city officials find some way to nitpick at my property because I am fighting them on mask mandates.

Turned off the air conditioning and made vanilla extract with the costco brand vodka. $12 vs $25 we'll see this time next year how it tastes. Thinking about not making a 2022 batch since I did not do much baking or socializing and just opened the 2019 batch because my mom asked for a bottle.

Got together with a friend at an outdoor festival which was less than an originally planned restaurant we had tried for earlier but she had to cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    Turned off the air conditioning and made vanilla extract with the costco brand vodka. $12 vs $25 we'll see this time next year how it tastes. Thinking about not making a 2022 batch since I did not do much baking or socializing and just opened the 2019 batch because my mom asked for a bottle.
    Hana: I've always heard that Costco brand vodka is Grey Goose or similar and is one of their greatest bargains, so hopefully you will still have a high quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Some people taste the bitterness in vegetables, so don't like them much. But more vegetables in stir-fries, soups, meat loaf, etc. might work. I can't get really enthusiastic about a bowl of say, broccoli, by itself--but I love the variety vegetables bring to the table. Also, aliums!
    I don't know if it is still going on, but there was a whole big "thing" several years ago showing moms how to *hide* veggies in meals so their kids would eat them. I was never a fan of that, as I always wanted my kids to know what they were eating, but it resulted in a lot of recipes on the internet with hidden veggies. The one I like is broccoli in the spaghetti sauce (not hidden but decent size florets) when serving over pasta. I like the taste of it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    Wait…what?

you make vanilla from vodka?

Thread Information