Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: Unexpectedly Unavailable?

  1. #41
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Pool chemicals have been hard to come by. Not exactly the siege of Leningrad, but still irritating.
    I wonder if that may be a regional problem? I haven't had scarcity problems although my chlorine purchases this year have cost twice what they did last year.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,036
    Give gifts for kids (up to 12 maybe), cash for teenagers, and nothing for adults, well a card is fine for adults. But gifts for adults are mostly silly unless you just happen to find the perfect something, you know they will love, that you would give anyway.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I wonder if that may be a regional problem? I haven't had scarcity problems although my chlorine purchases this year have cost twice what they did last year.
    Chlorine was in short supply here. As was bromine. Our normal pool stuff guy was rationing both. The algae was not very understanding about the situation, however.

  4. #44
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Chlorine was in short supply here. As was bromine. Our normal pool stuff guy was rationing both. The algae was not very understanding about the situation, however.
    Ha, we opened our pool this year in late May then gave it a very healthy dosage of chlorine in early June before leaving for a 2 month road trip. When we returned you could tell the algae was unimpressed with our efforts.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #45
    Senior Member Tradd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Suburban Midwest
    Posts
    5,543
    One of the two plants that make chlorine tablets for pool use had a big fire last year. That’s why the shortage.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    One of the two plants that make chlorine tablets for pool use had a big fire last year. That’s why the shortage.
    That would explain it. Iím a little surprised there are only two plants in the country. Makes you wonder how vulnerable we are in more important areas.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I get it, (and I know you're responding to a kind of unrelated topic about store shelves) but that reminds me of my DIL, who used to say that they would go to the annual family Christmas party and exchange gift cards. Cash is even more mundane if everyone does it because, why give anything?? No thought, no benefit (equal exchange, I would assume). Save the trip to the bank and send a card.

    I don't think worrying about what's in stock has anything to do with Christmas, unless you're the type who has stood in line since 5am for a Cabbage Patch doll (I'm sure you haven't done that, Tradd!). My favorite gifts have been those odd things that people make or find. I think it was frugal-one who recently said she just finished making Christmas gifts from scraps (someone correct me if I'm wrong). One of the things that made "The Purge" was a set of 3 dishtowels that my DIL's mother made me. She crocheted a border on towels she purchased, and that simple border made all the difference. They are beautiful. I use them as mini-runners, or basket liners, but I NEVER use them to dry dishes. They are "A few of my favorite things."

    [To stay on topic, I haven't run into anything that seems to be chronically out of stock]
    Nope... not me. I was the one who said they really enjoyed gift giving. I love thinking about the gift a person would want. I used to keep a book with everyone's name in it. When they made reference to something or I thought of something they would like, I wrote it down. I guess it just takes being observant??? Sadly, I have very few people to give gifts to now.

  8. #48
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    12,625
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Nope... not me. I was the one who said they really enjoyed gift giving. I love thinking about the gift a person would want. I used to keep a book with everyone's name in it. When they made reference to something or I thought of something they would like, I wrote it down. I guess it just takes being observant??? Sadly, I have very few people to give gifts to now.
    Hmm... who was it? Someone here said they had finished their Christmas crafts by making potholders and other fabric things out of scrap quilting fabric.

    Anyway, frugal-one, you're the type of giver I have in mind. The giftee is always thrilled to get things chosen with real consideration.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  9. #49
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    11,846
    Our Hoa has been having difficulty getting the chemicals for the pool also.

  10. #50
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    12,625
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Hmm... who was it? Someone here said they had finished their Christmas crafts by making potholders and other fabric things out of scrap quilting fabric.

    Anyway, frugal-one, you're the type of giver I have in mind. The giftee is always thrilled to get things chosen with real consideration.
    It was flowerseverywhere!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •