Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October Purge

October Purge

Don't see this started yet, so here I go.

Today was our town wide yard sale. Since it is normally a time for siblings and friends to come and we hang out for the day, I did get a permit. As it turned out, nobody else could come, but I did put out my "yard sale" stuff and pulled some items out of the donation box. Actually sold more than I thought!!! Made a couple bucks, but more importantly only had about 10 items come back into the house. I'm guessing I purged about 25-30 items.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Husband took a car model and some big acrylic cases to Restore for Habitat to sell. Hooray. It is nice when bigger stuff goes. I took another bag of fabric scrap to my neighbor and found her door open and no one home. Got her notified (she is in rehab) so she could call her cat sitters and have them check on her cats and lock her door.

Later I pulled six quilting books (little value on Ebay for the time it would take) and stuck them in the book donation box we are taking to the library.

Yppej
    A tree.

Need help on deciding what to do with these items that are in my garage in NJ. My son will be purchasing the house at the end of the month and so we have to finally just come to terms with the rest of our stuff that's in the garage and basement. In particular, my son has the township bulk trash truck coming on Wednesday to get rid of some of their old furniture and a piano. He is giving us the opportunity to trash the half dozen big items of ours that remain in the garage.

Here is a description of the things on the list--can you please let me know if you think I should sell or trash these items?

1) An Eastlake dresser with mirror that used to be in the summer cottage I stayed in. It's in very good condition.

2) 2 tiger maple twin bed fourposters that used to be my great-aunt's. They are part of a bedroom set--my VT son has the dresser, and my NJ son is using the end table. The problem with the beds are they are unusable because of the archaic frame--no mattress would fit unless I had a carpenter come and update the frame. But who even would want two twin fourposters anyway?? I'm tempted to dump them but the wood headboards and footboards are very nice.

3) 70's era round Ethan Allen table with 4 rush ladder back chairs. They were my mother's. They are in OK condition--refinishing or painting would probably do them good, but they are as solid as a rock.

4) A large antique natural wood plate rack. We bought it at a consignment shop but it's way too big for our little house now. I bought it for $65 I think about 15 years ago and it's still in very good condition.

I think that's it! Should I try to sell these items? Should I keep and store any? (in particular I hate to give up the Eastlake dresser.). Any opinions?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, my suggestion is to list items 2, 3, and 4 for sale on Facebook Marketplace. Put a reasonable price on them, I’m sure they will go quickly. Any kind of wood is hard to come by right now, someone will appreciate nice wood, even if they have to do a little work before using the items.

#2- focus on the head and foots boards- list for $150.
    #3- list for $100.
    #4- list for $50.

I realize they are in NJ and your son would have to deal with the sales, but far better than sending to the dump IMHO.

The Eastlake dresser would bring several hundred dollars here in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you love it, store it or figure out how to use it in your home. (Take the mirror off, and use it as a sideboard in the dining room? Entry hall?)

Yppej
    Except for #1 I would put the items on the curb now and see if anyone takes them and if not on the bulk trash truck they go.

Your son offered the bulk truck. He didn't offer to set up online accounts and be your antique dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Except for #1 I would put the items on the curb now and see if anyone takes them and if not on the bulk trash truck they go.

Your son offered the bulk truck. He didn't offer to set up online accounts and be your antique dealer.
    haha.. absolutely, he's not my antique dealer. If we don't trash the stuff we will take repossession of them this month and figure out what to do with them from up here. VT SIL is a picker & seller of used items with a bay in a vintage consignment store so I could hand them over to him to sell and share profits.

mschrisgo, I really appreciate the specificity of your advice--you sound like you know what you're talking about. Are you in antique sales?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    A rug.

It took me 6 months to sell a double bed which was Eastlake and walnut and in perfect shape. I did get 250. I would definitely sell or give away. Don’t take good furniture to the dump.

I was in the mood today (anything to avoid staining benches, lol), and I've purged a wicker laundry basket, a set of cereal bowls, an ornamental plate, two serving bowls, four bone china dishes and a set of dessert plates. We have such limited storage space in our kitchen and we've got a whole lot of stuff that we just never use. I should actually Marie Kondo the kitchen cupboard (take everything out and then decide what goes back in). I'll bet if I only put back the items that we regularly use, we would have more storage apace than we need. I don't think I can be that draconian though because some of the stuff is really pretty and/or sentimental.

Thread Information