Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October Purge

Yppej
    A pillowcase that developed a rip.

I culled 6 shirts so far is the seasonal closet clean-out.

I just sold a pair of shoes on eBay, and I have another pair in the donate/give away basket. I'm now at the break-even point with clothing of 28 in and 28 out for the year, but I do hope to send at least a couple more items out the door.
    I used the FB gifting page to give away a set of dessert plates and a commemorative dish to a couple of local women. I also managed to unload - um - gift - a small pitcher and a holiday ornament to one of the women. They were really pleased to receive the items, so that made me happy.

As a result of my stored hurricane water leaking, the pantry got a clean out. All cans stayed, but lost some dried beans, pasta and some rice. What didn't get damp I repacked into glass storage so they aren't at risk going forward. Lost a few boxes of mixes, too - rice pilaf, etc. Also, a jar of expired mincemeat.

At least I know what's in storage, and stuff is preserved more long term, instead of the store packaging.

Dropped off 5 moving boxes worth of books at the freebie tables at an event I attended. The great book cull continues.

Great progress Hana!

Hana: 5 moving boxes is a pretty big deal!

Lmerullo: That is too bad about the lost food, but it sounds like you made the best of it and are better positioned going forward.

rosarugosa: Thanks, our goal is for every book to fit on the bookshelves with the only exceptions being library books and books we're actively reading. Having to be creative since area thrift stores and the friends of the library are not accepting donations due to lack of storage space. We're also buying fewer paper books, husband has kindle unlimited and I have found a bunch of free anthologies on the kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Need help on deciding what to do with these items that are in my garage in NJ. My son will be purchasing the house at the end of the month and so we have to finally just come to terms with the rest of our stuff that's in the garage and basement. In particular, my son has the township bulk trash truck coming on Wednesday to get rid of some of their old furniture and a piano. He is giving us the opportunity to trash the half dozen big items of ours that remain in the garage.

Here is a description of the things on the list--can you please let me know if you think I should sell or trash these items?

1) An Eastlake dresser with mirror that used to be in the summer cottage I stayed in. It's in very good condition.

2) 2 tiger maple twin bed fourposters that used to be my great-aunt's. They are part of a bedroom set--my VT son has the dresser, and my NJ son is using the end table. The problem with the beds are they are unusable because of the archaic frame--no mattress would fit unless I had a carpenter come and update the frame. But who even would want two twin fourposters anyway?? I'm tempted to dump them but the wood headboards and footboards are very nice.

3) 70's era round Ethan Allen table with 4 rush ladder back chairs. They were my mother's. They are in OK condition--refinishing or painting would probably do them good, but they are as solid as a rock.

4) A large antique natural wood plate rack. We bought it at a consignment shop but it's way too big for our little house now. I bought it for $65 I think about 15 years ago and it's still in very good condition.

I think that's it! Should I try to sell these items? Should I keep and store any? (in particular I hate to give up the Eastlake dresser.). Any opinions?
    I would vote to get someone--self, VT sil, or NJ son, to get a truck and bring all items back to Vermont and store with sil as they all sound like things you would want to keep in family. If that not possible, I would probably ship the bed frames and Eastlake dresser up to Vermont. It is not that hard to get an odd sized mattress made or found for the beds. They would be great for grandchildren. I would definitely poll the kids and ask for help with this as they probably want them in the family too.

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    rosarugosa: Thanks, our goal is for every book to fit on the bookshelves with the only exceptions being library books and books we're actively reading. Having to be creative since area thrift stores and the friends of the library are not accepting donations due to lack of storage space. We're also buying fewer paper books, husband has kindle unlimited and I have found a bunch of free anthologies on the kindle.
    Hana: I had a similar challenge for myself a few years ago. My books were all shelved, but I wanted to shrink the footprint of the book collection. I culled a lot of books, and when I counted them, I had 500 after the culling. So I still have a lot of books, but a lot less than before!
    I don't know if this is an option for you, but my town has a local free giving page, and people often give books away, and there is a Savers store nearby that accepts books.

Thread Information