Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Your take on shortages/supply chain disruptions?

Can’t reasonable people disagree about the degrees of risk and state coercion they’re willing to accept?

Can’t reasonable people disagree about the degrees of risk and state coercion they’re willing to accept?
    Its one thing if its a risk that only impacts you, and the people you are immediately responsible for. Its different IMO if you're risk can impact me. Like smoking indoors. Like infectious diseases. Like drunk driving.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Its one thing if its a risk that only impacts you, and the people you are immediately responsible for. Its different IMO if you're risk can impact me. Like smoking indoors. Like infectious diseases. Like drunk driving.
    What if the nervous nelly can modify his or her behavior? Select establishments with non-smoking rooms or sections (my parents always did this when we travelled as kids before the tobacco restricting laws), use curbside pickup, etc.

Why does our whole society have to revolve around the concerns of the most paranoid person out there? If even one person dies - even a person likely to die anyways of something else - the world must shut down. And if you disagree you're a psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    But there are plenty of things I do that directly or indirectly affect you. Any kind of driving. Burning electricity. Just taking up space in a hospital. I donÂ’t know if itÂ’s established with any accuracy to what extent a mask and vaccine scoffer actually creates risk for someone who takes those precautions, but it canÂ’t be very high.

I think masks and vaccines are a good idea. I also think private businesses and state/local government organizations have the right to make their own rules. But I donÂ’t think that a even a public health crisis is sufficient cause to simply hand arbitrary power to the federal government. And I think using a disease as a political or cultural signifier is petty and foolish.

I read there's a coming shortage of frozen pot pies (?) In case anyone wanted to stock up.

My main grocery store was out of paper towels. The clerk said they had been hit and miss for keeping them supplied and that it was a supply chain issue. I didn't try the big supermarket near by. Everything else was well stocked, although I didn't check on the meat supplies. Our news is speculating a Halloween candy shortage. I'm thinking that's just a scare tactic.

A friend reports they're having to order cat food from Amazon, due to local shortages.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    But there are plenty of things I do that directly or indirectly affect you. Any kind of driving. Burning electricity. Just taking up space in a hospital. I donÂ’t know if itÂ’s established with any accuracy to what extent a mask and vaccine scoffer actually creates risk for someone who takes those precautions, but it canÂ’t be very high.

I think masks and vaccines are a good idea. I also think private businesses and state/local government organizations have the right to make their own rules. But I donÂ’t think that a even a public health crisis is sufficient cause to simply hand arbitrary power to the federal government. And I think using a disease as a political or cultural signifier is petty and foolish.
    May be very high because the virus may morph into something our vaccine won't be able to handle because there are those still being infected. Also very high now because the unvaccinated are taking over hospitals whereby usual illnesses cannot be treated. IMO we should handle the situation like Portugal. If you are not vaccinated and get sick stay home and take care of yourself.... Also in times of a health crisis, hopefully, the government WILL step in so this is eradicated. Freedumb be damned.

Leaving at month end for Texas. The landlord is putting in the freezer we requested. Hopefully, we will be able to fill it so we won't have to always go to the grocery store or out to eat. Think getting there sooner vs later will be good based on the shortages you'all are reporting??

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Leaving at month end for Texas. The landlord is putting in the freezer we requested. Hopefully, we will be able to fill it so we won't have to always go to the grocery store or out to eat. Think getting there sooner vs later will be good based on the shortages you'all are reporting??
    I have sort of given up on the normal commercial supply chain here, between general shortages and problems with shipping cargo to the island now. I have contracted with some local farmers for a beeve, a pig, some goats, some lambs, some chickens, and some rabbits to secure a source.

Thread Information