Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Your take on shortages/supply chain disruptions?

Steel scuba tanks used in North America come from Italy. The most popular sizes are constantly out of stock. Materials/manufacturing issues and shipping delays. The price on used steel tanks has gone though the roof.

I got lucky that my instructor in WI loaned me a pair of tanks for the winter so I don’t have to use the expensive Trimix (has helium) in two pairs of tanks from deep class days that didn’t happen this summer due to scheduling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Here is an everyday example of messed up supply chains - we have stopped using the dishwasher - finally had one installed at the house - because of worries of no parts available/not much labor available should it break down. I didn't bond with having a dushwasher anyway. Rob
    I can understand not needing or using a dishwasher.

But inserting the reason why you don’t use it as due to “worries” of no parts when it breaks down just seems…not realistic.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I can understand not needing or using a dishwasher.

But inserting the reason why you don’t use it as due to “worries” of no parts when it breaks down just seems…not realistic.
    Unless you are planning to sell the house soon and want a functional dishwasher for the buyers.

Here is an everyday example of messed up supply chains - we have stopped using the dishwasher - finally had one installed at the house - because of worries of no parts available/not much labor available should it break down. I didn't bond with having a dushwasher anyway. Rob
    That doesn't seem like an every day example to me. By that thinking, should you also stop watching your TV out of fear you may not be able to get replacement batteries for your remote?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Actually, since it sounds like you don't like the dishwasher to begin with, any excuse would be good to not use it. I get that, as I am the same way with some things.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I was just reading where some people are freaking out because all the Christmas gifts will be gone by November. What the heck?? I don't think I have ever worried that something I wanted to get someone for Christmas would be unavailable. I never do Black Friday, I've never stood in line for a store to open, and I've never disappointed my kids or anyone else for that matter on Christmas (far from it). I simply don't get that mindset. There's plenty of stuff out there, people!!

As for the dishwasher, I agree that in Rob's case, a dishwasher and a TV are two different things. Most people have a TV, but not everyone has or wants a dishwasher. My dishwasher has been broken for 2 years now, and I've been using the racks as drainboards when I hand wash them. DH and I are still debating: replace it, or just remove it and turn the space into more storage?

This whole topic still has me wracking my brain to figure out anything that I would really stress out about not being able to buy. Maybe I don't have a good enough imagination.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was just reading where some people are freaking out because all the Christmas gifts will be gone by November. What the heck?? I don't think I have ever worried that something I wanted to get someone for Christmas would be unavailable. I never do Black Friday, I've never stood in line for a store to open, and I've never disappointed my kids or anyone else for that matter on Christmas (far from it). I simply don't get that mindset. There's plenty of stuff out there, people!!

As for the dishwasher, I agree that in Rob's case, a dishwasher and a TV are two different things. Most people have a TV, but not everyone has or wants a dishwasher. My dishwasher has been broken for 2 years now, and I've been using the racks as drainboards when I hand wash them. DH and I are still debating: replace it, or just remove it and turn the space into more storage?

This whole topic still has me wracking my brain to figure out anything that I would really stress out about not being able to buy. Maybe I don't have a good enough imagination.
    Medications. Dog food.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Medications. Dog food.
    I can definitely see medications, but it in many cases, especially for common conditions like hypertension, there are plenty of medication that can be substituted for another one. However, yes, if I were on a medication for a chronic condition that worked particularly well for me, I would not want a supply chain shortage of that for sure.

There's workarounds for dog food. You can make it yourself.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

While I doubt it would have made much difference, I’m a little surprised that the world has taken little notice that the Secretary of Transportation has been away from the office on paternity leave for the last couple of months. You would think the press might have some questions for him during times like this.

I have neither but I fantasize about a dish washer. Oh well that needs a whole plumbing setup right, ok I don't have that, I've always figured it probably isn't possible as it didn't come with the apartment. But I fantasize.. I do. So sick of doing dishes!

maybe not, I mean I needed a cot for my mom to sleep in here after surgery and failing to plan ahead for this I needed it in a few days. I mean the plan wasn't for her to live here for awhile really, it really wasn't, but then the reality hit and it was like ok this is the best plan and the one she wants (not an ideal plan because come on, it's cramped here etc.). But I was able to get one in a few days without any indication of supply chain issues (I ordered online but I even saw in store ones), I think my selection may have more been limited to like needing it in a few days more than anything. So ACTUAL obstacles due to supply chain issues, no, I just wish there were quarters. But theoretical one's, sure, if I could not have gotten a cot that would have sucked.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information