Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Your take on shortages/supply chain disruptions?

My neighbor is a recent immigrant from Serbia. While he has a Master's in a medical profession, he also has a CDL and experience driving heavy trucks. He leveraged that into citizenship rather quickly.

He's on the road most of the time, working for a company, and gets great pay and benefits.

He's been encouraging me to get my CDL, as I've already had most of the training but currently drive such things using a CDL exemption, and team up with him now-and-then - apparently it's a great life for some, and the compensation he's dangling seem quite appealing. And his wife enjoys him being out of town most of the time, and is my go-to petsitter, so who knows, this could work out.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And to add to that, I understand there is a shortage of truck drivers because training was suspended at the height of the pandemic.
    Drug tests are a real problem for drivers and user of heavy equipment. So many Americans cannot pass them.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Drug tests are a real problem for drivers and user of heavy equipment. So many Americans cannot pass them.
    I am subject to random drug testing for the equipment I operate, and in the event of *any* accident a drug/alcohol test is mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am subject to random drug testing for the equipment I operate, and in the event of *any* accident a drug/alcohol test is mandatory.
    It was common for DH’s tree company to hire on several new employees and when the day came for them to start they took their drug test. The next day they didn’t show up because they knew the results.

There was one employee who swung through trees like a monkey, A very talented tree trimmer. He was hired and fired hired and fired hired and fired so many times I can’t keep track. Drug tests.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    that would depend entirely on my situation. Being that I'm usually able to get much better jobs, probably not very readily at all. If I was my sibling who has never worked in 40 years and I suppose expects me to support them after mom dies, then yes I think they should take a food service job, even a part time one. We have talked about better options though that may pay enough to live on. No interest.
    ANM if you play the game of Victim in your relationship with your brother, that’s on you. And if your mother attempts to engage you in this codependent dance after she is dead by somehow making you the person who doles out money to him from her estate, do not take that role. Do not accept that responsibility.

You do not have to support your sibling. You not have to give your sibling any funds at all. It is entirely on you if you accept a role of provider. It is simple: don’t engage that way with your sibling.

Notice I said it is “simple “but that doesn’t mean the situation is easy to extricate from.

I haven't delved into it but wondering if exports are likewise stymied. While driving through the Texas panhandle, I noticed the endless cotton fields ready to harvest. I looked up the stats and something like 85% of TX grown cotton is shipped overseas...I presume to make our cotton items and then ship back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I haven't delved into it but wondering if exports are likewise stymied. While driving through the Texas panhandle, I noticed the endless cotton fields ready to harvest. I looked up the stats and something like 85% of TX grown cotton is shipped overseas...I presume to make our cotton items and then ship back to us.
    The ocean carriers are sending the empty containers back overseas as they make more off the shipping charges than waiting for the empties to be loaded with US agricultural exports. It’s been a problem for months.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Here is an everyday example of messed up supply chains - we have stopped using the dishwasher - finally had one installed at the house - because of worries of no parts available/not much labor available should it break down. I didn't bond with having a dushwasher anyway. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Here is an everyday example of messed up supply chains - we have stopped using the dishwasher - finally had one installed at the house - because of worries of no parts available/not much labor available should it break down. I didn't bond with having a dushwasher anyway. Rob
    Huh? Wait until it actually breaks down before you stop using it. A new dishwasher shouldn’t break down but if it does warranty should cover it. Not using something in case of….. especially a dishwasher seems overkill to me.

Agreed.

Thread Information