Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Your take on shortages/supply chain disruptions?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    When my daughter was born, I took my family leave time. Apparently I was one of the first men in Silicon Valley in my sort of position to do so, and legal action had to be taken to make sure I could, and that I'd have my job when I returned. (Which was hilarious, as my wife was the company's general counsel at the time, placing us both in an interesting position...)

Anyways, I felt it was a crucial time to bond with the wee bairn, and think it was a wise move.
    My dh did the same for each of our kids. Priceless.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I saw Secretary Buttigieg interviewed today. He reports he's in daily contact with his staff, and he discussed supply-chain issues. So it seems he's really just working from home.

I do find it amusing that so many people who last month had not a clue where their food comes from are now supply-chain and logistics experts. Having now mastered virology and such.

This is truly a nation of talented and engaged citizens.

I do find it amusing that so many people who last month had not a clue where their food comes from are now supply-chain and logistics experts. Having now mastered virology and such.

I deal with this stuff on the job daily and these people are trying to tell me what's going on. People have no clue how freight moves, most people.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe if truck driving was still a decent union job like it used to be instead of often the scam of owner/operator where they have to work nonstop to barely break even that it has become then we wouldn’t have a shortage of truck drivers.
    Hear! Hear!

I've mostly ignored the issue as it doesn't directly affect me (nothing I've wanted I couldn't buy - well there is the annoying quarter shortage I guess) and I suspect will resolve itself in due time.

I guess I could get deep into trying to understand the cause, in a world that still largely impacted by covid, it doesn't seem that unusual that there should still be disruptions though.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The fake pine trees don't appeal to you?
    I'd take fake pine trees over the see how phony the fake palm trees look we have going in Phoenix. Rob

People are a lot smarter than you think they are.

For instance, people do well at evaluating risks to their health. That's why you saw huge lines of elderly in places trying to get vaccines when they first came out. By contrast you didn't see the twenty somethings queuing up when their turn came. Ordinary people know risk varies by age even if experts try to paper that over.

Although those under 12 are too young to be vaccinated not a single child that age has died of covid in my state this fall. The entire state has in person learning. Maybe the schools were all shuttered last year for nothing, because the children who did die were primarily those with severe underlying disabilities in hospitals or other care facilities.

But let's scare everyone. Then we can force people to do what we want with their bodies.

Any wonder there is vaccine hesitancy and lack of trust including among people of color, who have a long legacy in this country of elites controlling their bodies via slavery, Jim Crow, mass incarceration, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

For instance, people do well at evaluating risks to their health.
    This is the funniest thing I’ve read all week.

LOL. That's what you get in a country chock full of armchair experts.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information