Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Your take on shortages/supply chain disruptions?

It's weird how vaccine mandates were never an issue before but for some reason now they suddenly are. But then I don't recall hearing of a political conference's attendees cheering for the failure of a vaccination campaign before either. It's almost like a certain segment of the political class has decided to weaponize a disease and allow their supporters to needlessly die from it for political gain.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It's weird how vaccine mandates were never an issue before but for some reason now they suddenly are. But then I don't recall hearing of a political conference's attendees cheering for the failure of a vaccination campaign before either. It's almost like a certain segment of the political class has decided to weaponize a disease and allow their supporters to needlessly die from it for political gain.
    I have no idea why some people choose not to be vaccinated but do believe it has little to do with politics, although it did seem to start that way last year when certain segments of the population started lambasting the "Trump vaccine" before any of them were ready for prime time. I suspect the only lingering political backlash has more to do with governmental mandates than vaccine acceptance. It's possible that many people (for political purposes) confuse one for the other.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    I talk regularly, including today, to vaccine hesitant people. There are a few categories:

1. People who have never wanted any vaccine and are into "natural living". One used to run a health food store. There is some overlap amongst these with #2.
    2. Religious extremists who fear persecution and see the vaccine as the mark of the beast.
    3. People, some mentally ill, who are very paranoid about the government and "deep state" or "one world order".
    4. People who feel that the vaccine has not been around long enough. They have gotten other vaccines but do not want the covid vaccine yet.

So my Board of Health now has on the agenda for their next meeting mandating vaccines for schoolchildren. Keep in mind there is only an emergency use authorization for ages 12+ and not even that for under 12. This rush to mandate vaccines makes people even more suspicious of the process and more likely to resist mandates. Why not just wait until these vaccines receive regular approval before trying to mandate them?

It's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I have no idea why some people choose not to be vaccinated but do believe it has little to do with politics, although it did seem to start that way last year when certain segments of the population started lambasting the "Trump vaccine" before any of them were ready for prime time. I suspect the only lingering political backlash has more to do with governmental mandates than vaccine acceptance. It's possible that many people (for political purposes) confuse one for the other.
    Then why did the cpac attendees cheer when it was announced that Biden's vaccine target wasn't met? That sure sounds like politics to me. It also sounds like a bunch of really shitty human beings cheering for unnecessary death instead of asking why the target wasn't met and what could be done to improve vaccine uptake.

Then why did the cpac attendees cheer when it was announced that Biden's vaccine target wasn't met?
    I don't know and frankly I'm unfamiliar with that claim, perhaps something to do with context?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I was more hesitant before I understood that we actually pretty much had a vaccine near the start of the pandemic and that everything else was proving it safe (not that you can absolutely prove 10 year safety before 10 years maybe, but vaccines don't tend to have that problem). But how hesitant is that? Oh a little worried about getting the injection, but still probably would have walked over a glass bridge to get the vax anyway as sick of covid limitations.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't know and frankly I'm unfamiliar with that claim, perhaps something to do with context?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMQzBhOb6Os&t=25s

And there's now a 32 point gap in vax rates between democrats and republicans.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgo...and-ethnicity/

Of Americans surveyed from Sept. 13-22, 72% of adults 18 and older had been vaccinated, including 71% of white Americans, 70% of Black Americans, and 73% of Hispanics. Contrast these converging figures with disparities based on politics: 90% of Democrats had been vaccinated, compared with 68% of Independents and just 58% of Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Sneer at freedom all you want. I kind of like it, and am not particularly interested in surrendering it over some small chance something bad might happen if people are allowed to do dumb things.

There are plenty of diseases that could become more lethal in the future, and even if we forced every American to be vaxxed and masked there is still the rest of the planet to consider as far as what might develop.
    Let's hope you don't have to go to the hospital anytime soon.

Yppej
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMQzBhOb6Os&t=25s

And there's now a 32 point gap in vax rates between democrats and republicans.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgo...and-ethnicity/

Of Americans surveyed from Sept. 13-22, 72% of adults 18 and older had been vaccinated, including 71% of white Americans, 70% of Black Americans, and 73% of Hispanics. Contrast these converging figures with disparities based on politics: 90% of Democrats had been vaccinated, compared with 68% of Independents and just 58% of Republicans.
    If most Republicans are white, and most blacks are Democrats, why do whites have a higher vaccination rate than blacks?

Do you think you are oversimplifying?

Actually it's difficult to parse things further because the data doesn't seem to be out there as to whether the party affiliation vax rates are the same for all races. But since white people make up 76% of the population at large and are an even higher rate of the republican population that means that white democrats have to be vaxxed at a slightly higher rate than 90% to make up for the lower rate of black dems. And since black republicans are less than 2% of the overall population their effect on republican vax rates is virtually nonexistent regardless of what their vax rate is.

If we were talking a few percentage points difference between republicans and democrats one could quibble about oversimplifying. But with a more than 30% difference between republicans and democrats of all races and with white people representing more than 3/4 of the population the difference is stark. White republicans are by far the largest demographic group that hasn't been vaccinated in terms of numbers of people. They are the ones that are causing the unnecessary continuation of this pandemic. And oddly they are also the ones, at least in terms of raw numbers, who are being harmed by the ongoing epidemic. Supporting their desire to die for the cause seems an odd electoral strategy but that seems to be where the republican political class is at this point in time.

Thread Information