Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Your take on shortages/supply chain disruptions?

Now that gas prices are going up, I wouldn't want to go back to my senior year in college when we had odd/even numbers for gas and long, long lines. I feel my needs for gas and the inconvenience of sitting in line would be relatively less than others because I do all of my work from home these days, and I rarely need to fill up my car--maybe once a month. But I would feel for all the others who would really suffer financially and from all the hassles that rationing gas brings.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Now that gas prices are going up, I wouldn't want to go back to my senior year in college when we had odd/even numbers for gas and long, long lines.
    The fuel situation in the UK recently is/was just loony. A shortage of truck drivers, combined with an announcement by the government that "there is no fuel shortage, there's just a delivery problem, please don't panic and stockpile..." led to the predictable outcome.

Glad I have an electric vehicle or three :-)

Now that gas prices are going up, I wouldn't want to go back to my senior year in college when we had odd/even numbers for gas and long, long lines. I feel my needs for gas and the inconvenience of sitting in line would be relatively less than others because I do all of my work from home these days, and I rarely need to fill up my car--maybe once a month. But I would feel for all the others who would really suffer financially and from all the hassles that rationing gas brings.
    Supply line for wifi products. There’s your Achilles heel.

Which by the way I would like to know how is your electronic communications systems up there in Vermont? Did you have downtimes last winter?

I actually went looking for a pair of work shoes at our local Marshall's - nothing. However, I did end up getting Christmas gifts for the young kids next door. I usually don't shop this early, but since the items were there, and Marshall's is a "here today/gone tomorrow" type store, I just bought them. Not panicking, though!!!! Just trying to be pro-active.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Supply line for wifi products. There’s your Achilles heel.

Which by the way I would like to know how is your electronic communications systems up there in Vermont? Did you have downtimes last winter?
    Haha! That's true! We haven't had any issue with broadband/wifi up here. I have Comcast/Xfinity and it has worked well. I think it went down for a short time maybe twice in the 4 years we've been here. Our biggest problem is cell phone service. Very, very spotty. My mudroom is my phone booth. It's the only place in the house I can speak to people on my cell phone. They've just built a new cell phone tower on the island (and believe me, there were a lot of local protesters--NIMBY and also it's unsightly from all over the place). They haven't plugged it in yet, but that should solve the cell phone problem.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't know why they can't design attractive cell phone towers.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I don't know why they can't design attractive cell phone towers.
    The fake pine trees don't appeal to you?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    While I doubt it would have made much difference, I’m a little surprised that the world has taken little notice that the Secretary of Transportation has been away from the office on paternity leave for the last couple of months. You would think the press might have some questions for him during times like this.
    I think the entire family is still hanging out in their hospital bed, recuperating from the rigors of childbirth.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Haha! That's true! We haven't had any issue with broadband/wifi up here. I have Comcast/Xfinity and it has worked well. I think it went down for a short time maybe twice in the 4 years we've been here.
    You're lucky you don't live in a technological backwater like we do. Our internet is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think the entire family is still hanging out in their hospital bed, recuperating from the rigors of childbirth.
    When my daughter was born, I took my family leave time. Apparently I was one of the first men in Silicon Valley in my sort of position to do so, and legal action had to be taken to make sure I could, and that I'd have my job when I returned. (Which was hilarious, as my wife was the company's general counsel at the time, placing us both in an interesting position...)

Anyways, I felt it was a crucial time to bond with the wee bairn, and think it was a wise move.

Thread Information