Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birthdays

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    In any case, I wish you the best on all days, not just the one that marks the anniversary of your birth!
    Thank you! This is my attitude toward Mother's Day, too. Can't you be honored every day??? Or Administrative Assistant's Day---can't you respect me all the other days of the year too?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thank you all.....just arrived home from "the lunch." I barely spoke at all; the other two did most of the chatting. It was a lovely setting and I loved watching the birds at the hostess's feeders. Her home is on 20 acres and is park-like. So I've had worse birthdays I suppose. Frankly, I can't even remember any others.

Again, thanks for your input. It's good to know I'm not the only "party-pooper."
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’m always slightly shocked each year when I get birthday cards from people. You’d think I would figure out that cards are coming, but I just kind of forget about it between birthdays.There’s some friends who keep me on their birthday list and I just don’t understand why, I think it’s dumb.
    Exactly. They (birthdays) just sneak up on you. Next year I WILL be prepared with my own plan! Actually, I was supposed to attend Indian Wells tennis tournament this weekend, but those plans got messed up again by COVID.

I think the weird thing is when people are trying hard to give you birthday, then you feel obligated to be happy about it and that's stressful! You don't want to make them unhappy, but it's your birthday, darn it!

For that reason, I believe everyone should craft their birthdays the way THEY want them to be, and invite whom THEY wish to participate. I feel bad when others feel pressured to give me a good time. I actually have a plan for my 70th next year, and I hope DH is willing to listen.

Anyway, Kay, happy birthday! I don't think you're strange at all for feeling as you do but I hope you enjoyed your day.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Guess I am the odd man out. I am always thankful when people remember my birthday. A phone call makes my day. it is nice that people remember.

I’m like the OP. I don’t want to celebrate my birthday particularly. Years ago I took it off my Facebook profile because I don’t even care to have most people acknowledge it. SO knows this so we either plan a weekend getaway of just the two of us or just a dinner. And that’s perfect for me. Not having to cook dinner is a nice treat for the day. The weekend after next we’re doing a pre-birthday getaway for me for a couple of nights. We’ll do a couple of wine tastings at wineries during the days and eat a couple of nice meals. I’m really looking forward to it. When my actual birthday happens during the following week we won’t do much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Guess I am the odd man out. I am always thankful when people remember my birthday. A phone call makes my day. it is nice that people remember.
    Yes! Phone calls are good! I did receive one this morning from someone I haven't seen since I retired---a surprise because it was very unexpected. We spoke for about 10 minutes, and caught up, and I was happy to hear from him. I remembered after I hung up that he used to keep a little tiny notebook with people's birthdays in it. Very sweet. And not a hint of an obligation!

I don’t want gifts but I really enjoy going out with my kids on my birthday. My friends usually take me out sometime within a week of it which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I don't want to give the impression that I'm a Scrooge. I do love people calling or dropping a card. And I am appreciative of DH trying to get the kids together. It's more about those milestone birthdays that are unnecessarily expensive and put me in the center of attention.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think the weird thing is when people are trying hard to give you birthday, then you feel obligated to be happy about it and that's stressful! You don't want to make them unhappy, but it's your birthday, darn it!

For that reason, I believe everyone should craft their birthdays the way THEY want them to be, and invite whom THEY wish to participate. I feel bad when others feel pressured to give me a good time. I actually have a plan for my 70th next year, and I hope DH is willing to listen.

Anyway, Kay, happy birthday! I don't think you're strange at all for feeling as you do but I hope you enjoyed your day.
    About crafting your birthday: when I turn 50 I planned a big blowout vacation for DH and me in the UK. It was our castles and canals trip. I told everybody what we were doing. All our friends knew about our big trip, that is all I wanted to do and that was a lot!

They were compelled to organize a surprise party for me anyway. Sigh. And that was a bummer because I really did not want a party, I had told DH I didn’t want a party, but he didn’t have enough social grease to kill it when it was proposed to him. He didn’t plan it, someone else did.

Most of our friends were around our age so we had a 2-3 year period with what seemed like endless surprise 50th birthday parties.I threw a big party for DH. It wasn’t really a surprise but the actual activity was a surprise. I threw another surprise party for our single friend, and I think he liked that. It was low-key and in my own home with only 10 people.

Most of these 50th birthday parties were big deals with at least 20 people in attendance. They got a little tiresome.

Thread Information