Thread: Social Security Graph

Social Security Graph

I got a message to check my annual earnings and logged onto the SS website and was pleasantly surprised to see they now have a graph that you can adjust to see your retirement benefit. It goes by month. You have to grab the bar and drag it to the age you want.

Before I could only see 62, 67 and 70. Now I can see 68, 69, etc. This will be motivating for me. I try to get my expenses to the age I want to retire but there was such a big gap between 70 and 67 it was discouraging. But getting from 70 to 69 seems achievable.

Thatís a big improvement. Thanks for letting us know. A few years ago I had made a spreadsheet based on my potential benefit at different starting ages but the gap between 62 and 67 was annoying since I will likely start collecting at some point between them depending on how well my retirement savings do over the coming years. This is a perfect time to flesh out the sheet to show various scenarios now that Iím actually trying to figure out what my retirement income is going to be.

I did some calculations and I should be able to retire at 68 instead of 70. This is a big relief because while I like my current job things could change - my eyesight to drive in the dark, my general health and intellectual capacity, the nature of the job, the people I work with, the profitability of the company so layoffs are not on the horizon, etc. And if I had to job search again I would definitely face age discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I did some calculations and I should be able to retire at 68 instead of 70. This is a big relief because while I like my current job things could change - my eyesight to drive in the dark, my general health and intellectual capacity, the nature of the job, the people I work with, the profitability of the company so layoffs are not on the horizon, etc. And if I had to job search again I would definitely face age discrimination.
    Nice. If you decide that you want to work longer, there is nothing wrong with that, but it's certainly better than having no choice but to work until 70.

Thread Information