Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Chapelle—CANCELLED!

Dave Chapelle—CANCELLED!

Dave Chapelle who is probably the biggest comic out there, mainstream, Kennedy Center Award winner and etc., and a very wise man decided to blast the woke culture and chose to say among many unacceptable things that trans women aren’t women.

This was all in his recent special The Closer.

Standup comedians are under scrutiny for saying things that make people unhappy and uncomfortable, so what else is new about that? What’s new about it is that now social justice warriors are attempting to close them down. The lesser gods of comedy make money off their social media presence.

Chappelle is bigger than that, so he can take on politically incorrect ideas and discuss them with honesty and humor.He is just a guy, not a beacon of evil. He doesn’t need Twitter and etc. to line his pocket.

Damian Williams said about Chapelle “I feel like he’s freed the slaves. “

The reason why this is in my sphere of interest (while also, unfortunately, being one of the 5 stories of the day that media wants us to consume) is because I listen to Joe Rogan podcasts and Rogan talks a lot about the state of comedy in today’s world. He also goes on tour with Chapelle.

And he was cancelled by....? Sorry, didn't see any news stories as of yet on this.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    And he was cancelled by....? Sorry, didn't see any news stories as of yet on this.
    I just mean cancel culture vultures are swarming all over Dave Chapelle.

I do not know if YouTube, Facebook, and etc. have canceled any clips from his show. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have, but maybe the clicks will convince these large commercial entities otherwise. Conflict is good for business.

Rebutting Dave’s comments is an act of free speech, nothing wrong with that. Too bad I haven’t yet heard any decent rebuttals although I’m sure they’re out there. NPR tried mightily yesterday when they invited a black,/trans/woman/comedian/activist to comment on Chapelle’s performance. But her comments were nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just mean cancel culture is swarming all over Dave Chapelle.

I do not know if YouTube, Facebook, and etc. I have canceled any clips from his show. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have, but maybe the clicks will convince these large commercial entities otherwise.
    Oh, okay. I get it now.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I think cancel culture is a severe threat to any free and functioning society and sincerely hope it will soon die an ignoble death. I'm glad to see high profile people such as Dave Chapelle and Bill Maher knowingly risk social and professional "cancellation" at a time when businesses and sponsors lack the courage to ignore the vocal minorities who use cancel techniques to make themselves feel better.

Chapelle can easily take his stand because he knows that the majority of people agree with him and will support him even though many of them may lack the courage to say so publicly. We need more public figures like him to pave the way to a freer society and help people realize that the risk of ostracism is a small price to pay for a saner world. Once that happens this foolishness will be over.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Maybe he’s big enough to break the chains of weaponized wokeness and emancipate comedy from the sensitivity police. As a concerned citizen, I try to show my support by never missing a special.

The alternative is a bleak dystopian future of Stephen Colbert, John Oliver and Samantha Bee.

I haven't seen the special that has caused the recent kurfluffle.

I have noticed that some of his previous comedy seems based on mocking LGBTQI+ folks.

This certainly seems to have gotten him notice, may be a clever marketing scheme, who knows? I have seen no actual "cancellation" occurring, only yammering on the usual media channels.

The head of the National Black Justice Coalition issued this statement some days back, which calls for the removal of the special from Netflix:

It is deeply disappointing that Netflix allowed Dave Chappelle’s lazy and hostile transphobia and homophobia to air on its platform.

With 2021 on track to be the deadliest year on record for transgender people in the United States — the majority of whom are Black transgender people — Netflix should know better. Perpetuating transphobia perpetuates violence.

Netflix should immediately pull The Closer from its platform and directly apologize to the transgender community.

Make no mistake: Black LGBTQ+ and same gender people exist – and have always existed. The fight against oppression is not a zero sum game, and the pervasiveness of white supremacy in the United States is not an excuse for homophobia or transphobia.
    I think running with "my oppressed group doesn't get as much attention as that other oppressed group, kick them instead, kick them!" may reflect a need to reread some of Crenshaw's work.

Anyways, this is yet another reason we can't have nice things.

A lot of comics depend on obnoxiousness to get noticed; it usually doesn't work with me.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I haven't seen the special that has caused the recent kurfluffle.
    The head of the National Black Justice Coalition issued this statement some days back, which calls for the removal of the special from Netflix:
    What's the basis of the request to remove the special? From the parts I've seen I'm not sure where the "perpetuating transphobia" comes into play.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

…I have seen no actual "cancellation" occurring, only yammering on the usual media channels.
    this above seems a direct contradition to this below:

The head of the National Black Justice Coalition issued this statement some days back, which calls for the removal of the special from Netflix…

Thread Information