Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Dave Chapelle—CANCELLED!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It wasn’t horrendous. But sure, some people will be “concerned. “
    If I were Jewish I would certainly be ‘concerned’. It seems that it’s just as acceptable these days to baselessly attack “The Jews”, as Chapelle called them, as it is to baselessly attack trans people.

Yes, I watched it and was concerned. Thank you for expressing my concern so eloquently, Bae.

The Louis Farrakhan fueled distrust in the black community of Jews has been going on for a long time. My public library subscribed to, actually paid real taxpayer dollars, for the nonsense of Farrakhan’s The Final Call which was popular in our large north side (African American populated) library branch.

Kyrie Irving received outsized cancellation for his tweet which was, according to reports I read, a simple link to a dumb and amateur film hosted on Amazon.

Ye has received appropriate slap-downs for his nutty utterings that seem to be ongoing. He truly experienced cancellation when his $2 billion Adidas contract was cancelled.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-15-22 at 5:07pm.

[QUOTE=iris lilies;394043]Dave Chapelle who is probably the biggest comic out there, mainstream, Kennedy Center Award winner and etc., and a very wise man decided to blast the woke culture and chose to say among many unacceptable things that trans women aren’t women.

/QUOTE]

I think what concerns me is two-fold: that he is being presented as "a very wise man" in connection with his anti-Semitism, and that posters are saying, "well I'd be concerned if I were Jewish, but I'm not Jewish, so it's okay."

It's like Trump and January 6. When do we start to see things are connected, and it's not okay to stand by and say nothing when evil is occurring?

[QUOTE=Tybee;417209]
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Dave Chapelle who is probably the biggest comic out there, mainstream, Kennedy Center Award winner and etc., and a very wise man decided to blast the woke culture and chose to say among many unacceptable things that trans women aren’t women.

/QUOTE]

I think what concerns me is two-fold: that he is being presented as "a very wise man" in connection with his anti-Semitism, and that posters are saying, "well I'd be concerned if I were Jewish, but I'm not Jewish, so it's okay."

It's like Trump and January 6. When do we start to see things are connected, and it's not okay to stand by and say nothing when evil is occurring?
    You and many others here *are* speaking up about your opinion of Chapelle’s monologue. Dave’s comments were racist and riffed on racist comments of Ye. Wise men can be racist, and Dave Chapelle doesn’t care that anyone thinks he is racist. There is wisdom in that.

I have been reading internet comments on this performance. There are many interesting takes on it, including those by Jewish comedians. At the most base level, widespread criticism is “bad words bad Dave cancel Dave” and let’s bludgeon Dave with bae’s photo of the Holocaust.

But I think this kind of performance, ironically funny commentary delivered masterfully, deserves higher level analysis.

Does Chappelle highlight anti semitic thoughts and in that highlighting, is he normalizing that? Does joking about it make it ok? Or does the highlighting reveal important truths that live in our society? And, doesn’t he make fun of those “truths” at the same time?

I don’t think shutting them down like the extreme reaction to Kyrie Irving (sending Irving to the corner to think over the error of his thoughts) is especially good for our society. This drives Kyrie’s thoughts underground where he will not express them out loud ever again, something that Chapelle touched on. There will be no opportunity to discuss with Irving his ideas.

In free speech a golden rule is: shine the light on it. Show the ideas for all to see.

I think .dave Chappelle is one of the greats and he is equal to George Carlin in wit and wisdom. I also think this is the end of an era in comedy. Our future world will be more constrained for the younger generation whose sensibilities are easily challenged.. Perhaps that is “good” (tho it is not my own taste) but I think something important will be lost.

One of the more interesting things to come out of this is the report (?true? I dont know) that Chappelle performed a different monologue for dress rehearsal and pulled out this one for the live performance, unbeknownst to Lorne Michaels.
    There will be commentary on this as days go by.

I guess this is not the time for me to ….ummmm….play my card. My mother was Jewish. It is in bad taste to say this, so I won’t.

But see, that’s exactly what Ye he thinks he’s doing, connecting the dots, bringing together what he sees happening with his life and the lives of others in Hollywood.

Believe me when I say I have little respect for Ye because I don’t know anything about him other than he was married to a Kardashian and he’s crazy.
    And he produced a lot of music. But I do, because of this recent panel of utterings by him, understand that he has major influence in a segment of our population.

"Wise men can be racist, and Dave Chapelle doesn’t care that anyone thinks he is racist. There is wisdom in that."

I guess we disagree on that to the extent that someone can simultaneously be wise and also make light of genocide. And promulgate the hatred that caused the genocide in the first place.

How is that Kanye thing going?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    How is that Kanye thing going?
    Ye seems to be making the circuit defending his… Whatever it is he’s defending.His racist utterings, I guess.

I’m no defender of Ye and if you read my words carefully you’ll see that. He lost his Adidas contract and that’s perfectly within the rights of Adidas to do that, nor do I think they’re wrong to do that.

I see Ye is no longer allowed to tweet to the Twitter twits. Elon Musk, no fan of censorious wokery, apparently draws the line at incitement to violence.

Thread Information