Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Chapelle—CANCELLED!

There is also being socialized as a female, which is being socialized as inferior to males no matter how much it is sublimated (why do you think I always wanted to be a male as a kid? because I'm trans? But I don't identify as trans. Because MEN DID EVERYTHING in all the history books and so on! Sure in theory "women can do anything", I was told that too, but in all the stories and stuff men did everything, the best a woman could aspire to is to be like a man).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The body remembers its birth gender, so in that sense Chapelle is right, you can be a trans woman but that's a social construct.
    Yes, and as I understand it that's basically what Chapelle is saying in his act.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Murphy also had a lot to say about Canada’s atmosphere of intimidation about free speech. A little chilling, our neighbors’ actions to the North.
    “Human Rights Tribunal” does have a sort of Orwellian ring to it, doesn’t it?

But of course here in the US we have an Attorney General who wants to set the FBI on people who get angry at school board meetings as “domestic terrorists”, so maybe we shouldn’t be too critical.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I like musings about human behavior, and some of the standup comedians make,pithy, wry obervations. His bit about Jussie Smollet was hilarious.

If you don’t think Chapelle is ever funny, ok.
    He may be; I'll probably never know.

I hear a group of Netflix employees are planning a one day walkout on the 20th in protest of the company’s failure to cancel Chapelle.

"Cancel culture" has been around forever: The Dixie Chicks, Colin Kaepernick, Kathy Griffin...Why is it suddenly a thing?

Comedians make fun of people and it a big part of their acts. There’s a comedian with cerebral palsy that makes fun of himself and others with disabilities and he went to second place on America’s got talent. He is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Comedians make fun of people and it a big part of their acts. There’s a comedian with cerebral palsy that makes fun of himself and others with disabilities and he went to second place on America’s got talent. He is hilarious.
    I do enjoy comedians that do that - make fun of themselves/their personal "group" so to speak, but I think it is different making fun of others - especially if I happen to be one of those "others". And, yes, I like to think I have a good sense of humor, but some of the things said are too over-the-top and downright hurtful... again, in my opinion.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm not sure the making from of one's personal group would be accepted. Suppose Dave Chappelle made fun of black guys (maybe he does, I don't claim to know). Would it really be considered okay if white people were laughing along and like: "oh yea black guys, that's so true"

There may be a line that is too over the top, but I suspect it's more of an "I know it when I see it" thing.
    Trees don't grow on money

You very well may be right. Not everyone is going to think the same thing is funny and everyone draws their own line, so to speak.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information