Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Chapelle—CANCELLED!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I do enjoy comedians that do that - make fun of themselves/their personal "group" so to speak, but I think it is different making fun of others - especially if I happen to be one of those "others".
    This puts me in mind of the dentist on “Seinfeld” who converted to Judaism so he would have “total joke immunity”.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    This puts me in mind of the dentist on “Seinfeld” who converted to Judaism so he would have “total joke immunity”.
    And that brings up the question of what came first - culture misappropriation or cancel culture?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

And that brings up the question of what came first - culture misappropriation or cancel culture?
    Ask Homo habilis, Homo rudolfensis, Homo erectus, Homo antecessor, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo floresiensis, Homo neanderthalensis and Homo naledi.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Ask Homo habilis, Homo rudolfensis, Homo erectus, Homo antecessor, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo floresiensis, Homo neanderthalensis and Homo naledi.
    Okay. Now, where to find.....?

To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Can a European based culture be appropriated?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Can a European based culture be appropriated?
    Ever seen St. Patrick's Day in the USA? :-)

Related, this is a fabulous book:

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Ever seen St. Patrick's Day in the USA? :-)
    This was the first thing to pop into my mind as well, with Octoberfest a close 2nd. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I hear a group of Netflix employees are planning a one day walkout on the 20th in protest of the company’s failure to cancel Chapelle.
    A Netflix group was fired but then rehired at the outcry of their firing.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Well another thing is a lot of them are grifters, grifting on anti-woke as a way to make money so to speak. But everyone anti-woke is a grifter? Well no some people would draw interest to begin with because they actually have something interesting to say, or an interesting way to say it, have interesting discussions, whatever. But there is also ginning up controversy for controversies sake as a grift. Mostly thinking Meghan Murphy falls into that, because honestly if it's people one never ever would have heard about otherwise ... If it's like: "who?" Then it's maybe someone's get rich scheme.
    Yes, getting mileage out of being “cancelled” can happen.

I remember thinking that Mark Steyne got quite a bit of mileage in outrage at his treatment by Canadian thought police. Sometimes bad things happening end up to be good.

But that’s not to say he overdid it. I heard his talk a couple of times and it stuck with me, but his ongoing telling of the tale may well have educated many people to the dangers of thought police.

Thread Information