Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Chapelle—CANCELLED!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    this seems a direct co tradition to this:
    Did Netflix cancel the show? Or are people merely yammering about doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    A lot of comics depend on obnoxiousness to get noticed; it usually doesn't work with me.
    I like musings about human behavior, and some of the standup comedians make,pithy, wry obervations. His bit about Jussie Smollet was hilarious.

If you don’t think Chapelle is ever funny, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Did Netflix cancel the show? Or are people merely yammering about doing so?
    oh, yammering is not actual cancel. Got it.

stay tuned?

I take it as a given I suppose that much comedy is based on some cruelty. Maybe this is cruelty to whoever the accepted target de jour is (Karen's?). Then again I don't watch much comedy either. But if it's cruel at some level, I take this as about equivalent to saying water is wet and the pope is Catholic.

Talking about things on social media isn't equivalent to cancelling anything as far as I am concerned. If people want us to get all upset about cancel culture but can only point to the vaguest nothing in arguing that it even exists, um come on, do better. That's not even an argument. That's what I always wonder, while cancel culture may be a bad thing in theory and all that, does it like actually exist much, or is it just some trumped up threat made up out of whole cloth? Then again even if a show is cancelled, one isn't guaranteed a job, right?
    Trees don't grow on money

Chapelle runs “through the culture war’s greatest hits, he dares critics to take unequal offense, and prove his point about a hierarchy of suffering.”

I like the summary from a really good review in the Atlantic.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...closer/620364/

That author also says, if you don’t want to read the whole thing:

“…Chapelle has always been clear about the political argument he is making with this material: In a few short years, gay- and trans-rights activism has achieved the kind of cultural veto that Black Americans have failed to win through decades of struggle. In Chappelle’s telling, no other movement has such power. The rapper DaBaby, censured for remarks about AIDS, was
    once involved in the fatal shooting of a Black man at a Walmart. (He was not charged in the death but was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon.) “Nothing bad happened to his career,” Chappelle says. “Do you see where I’m going with this?” In the United States, he says, you can shoot and kill a Black person, “but you better not hurt a gay person’s feelings.” And no other movement, Chappelle maintains, has been granted such immunity to criticism. Bashing feminists for their privilege is so common that I’m surprised Chappelle’s jokes about “white bitches get[ting] tear-gassed” during the Women’s March didn’t landhimabookdeal. The implicit hierarchy of suffering …”

I really liked this Atlantic review that is nuanced and explains Chapelle’s comedy also as nuanced, neither right or wrong, neither black or white, neither admirable nor worthy of distain.

oh, yammering is not actual cancel. Got it.

stay tuned?
    Words have meaning. Does "cancel" now mean "whine, complain, ask for redress"?

Did Netflix cancel the show? Did they make an announcement? Did they take any other actions?

"Cancel culture" to me has become a "thought terminating cliche", not conducive to exploring actual issues.

Chapelle runs “through the culture war’s greatest hits, he dares critics to take unequal offense, and prove his point about a hierarchy of suffering.”

I like the summary from a really good review in the Atlantic.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...closer/620364/

That author also says, if you don’t want to read the whole thing:

“…Chapelle has always been clear about the political argument he is making with this material: In a few short years, gay- and trans-rights activism has achieved the kind of cultural veto that Black Americans have failed to win through decades of struggle. In Chappelle’s telling, no other movement has such power. The rapper DaBaby, censured for remarks about AIDS, was
    once involved in the fatal shooting of a Black man at a Walmart. (He was not charged in the death but was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon.) “Nothing bad happened to his career,” Chappelle says. “Do you see where I’m going with this?” In the United States, he says, you can shoot and kill a Black person, “but you better not hurt a gay person’s feelings.” And no other movement, Chappelle maintains, has been granted such immunity to criticism. Bashing feminists for their privilege is so common that I’m surprised Chappelle’s jokes about “white bitches get[ting] tear-gassed” during the Women’s March didn’t landhimabookdeal. The implicit hierarchy of suffering …”

I really liked this Atlantic review that is nuanced and explains Chapelle’s comedy also as nuanced, neither right or wrong, neither black or white, neither admirable nor worthy of distain.

I like that phrase: “cultural veto”.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Words have meaning. Does "cancel" now mean "whine, complain, ask for redress"?

Did Netflix cancel the show? Did they make an announcement? Did they take any other actions?

"Cancel culture" to me has become a "thought terminating cliche", not conducive to exploring actual issues.
    Yes to your point that overly complaining about wokeness complaining is counterproductive in the long run.

But I listen to Joe Rogan who has, on his show, actual people who have had real commercial enterprises “cancelled” due to wrongspeak.

I heard one of them recently. Meghan Murphy runs a feminist website and had a source of income cut when she was booted from one of the Social media sites for referring to Jessica Yaniv, a pretend transwoman, as “him.”

Murphy also had a lot to say about Canada’s atmosphere of intimidation about free speech. A little chilling, our neighbors’ actions to the North.

Well another thing is a lot of them are grifters, grifting on anti-woke as a way to make money so to speak. But everyone anti-woke is a grifter? Well no some people would draw interest to begin with because they actually have something interesting to say, or an interesting way to say it, have interesting discussions, whatever. But there is also ginning up controversy for controversies sake as a grift. Mostly thinking Meghan Murphy falls into that, because honestly if it's people one never ever would have heard about otherwise ... If it's like: "who?" Then it's maybe someone's get rich scheme.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I am trying to remember which of the pharmaceutical ads we are bombarded with had in its fine printing warnings something about not for, or has elevated risks for, people born female, or people born male. The body remembers its birth gender, so in that sense Chapelle is right, you can be a trans woman but that's a social construct. At the level where your body interacts with things like medications you are still male.

Thread Information