Thread: A food additive to watch out for

A food additive to watch out for

As someone who has always had an iron stomach and can eat just about anything, I was mystified over the last two years as I would have "intestinal" issues out of the blue. It took some sleuthing but I now believe that the many types of vegetable gums added to processed food may be the culprit. So many processed foods now contain gums of one sort or another - guar, xanthan, carrageenan - especially dairy products like yogurt and ice cream. Plant milks are full of it. When you start looking at labels, you will be amazed at how widespread its use - even canned pet food and lunchmeat. I am now avoiding it when possible and have not had any more issues. I kind of wonder if all the rampant IBS issues people have these days might not be related?

Hmm, interesting Pinky...I shall be watching for that too. I don't eat a ton of processed stuff, but enough probably. I've noticed changes in my gut the past year or so, but chalked it up to another aging "benefit." Like gallstones.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    As someone who has always had an iron stomach and can eat just about anything, I was mystified over the last two years as I would have "intestinal" issues out of the blue. It took some sleuthing but I now believe that the many types of vegetable gums added to processed food may be the culprit. So many processed foods now contain gums of one sort or another - guar, xanthan, carrageenan - especially dairy products like yogurt and ice cream. Plant milks are full of it. When you start looking at labels, you will be amazed at how widespread its use - even canned pet food and lunchmeat. I am now avoiding it when possible and have not had any more issues. I kind of wonder if all the rampant IBS issues people have these days might not be related?
    Did you find articles that suspect these gums as the culprit or is this based on your own issues? hmmm

Have you ever seen FoodBabe's website? She's pretty famous for calling out industrial food manufacturers for all kinds of preservatives and additives that she considers to be unhealthy based on her research. Here's a relevant article:

"...emulsifiers like carrageenan, xantham gum, and cellulose. These may cause intestinal inflammation, and a study recently came out that shows some of these ingredients mess with gut bacteria that can affect your metabolism."

https://foodbabe.com/healthy-food-destroying-gut/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have always looked for "clean" labels when buying processed foods but started noticing that the ice cream I occasionally bought was no longer just cream, sugar and vanilla. It now had several added gums. Then I couldn't find any brand without additives. I started noticing it in all sorts of products after that. There are plenty of websites saying that these additives can cause upset so apparently it can be an issue for some people.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting!!!!

Thanks. Will definitely pass this on to friends and family.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information