Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Medicare open enrollment

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Advantage plans are pushed by insurance brokers. I imagine that they get a bigger profit to get people on one.
    Is that commonly accepted as the case? I am planning to contact a broker soon at the recommendation of a friend and while I am sceptical of their motivations, I'd not heard that before. I really don't want to have to fact check things and have done OK on my own, but am interested in what he might say. Like IL, money isn't the biggest deciding factor.

Flowers, HI is definitely not cheap on Medicare. I pay 330/month. My sister in Chicago pays 600/month just for herself.

Roger, we went to a broker and I dont remember she pushed an advantage plan.We didn't end up with one anyway.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    If a broker represents Blue Cross for instance they are obviously going to push that. Don’t assume anything. Take the time to check everything yourself, not just the checklist of how great their plan is. Summary of benefits as well as evidence of coverage (the contract) are online. Read every page. Never assume anything.

is there a volunteer organization to help you. Here in Florida we have SHINE. Serving health insurance needs of the elderly. You can make an appointment and they help you navigate. They are paid by no one. They also do group education where they explain lots about Medicare.

make no mistake. Any supplement, advantage plan and so on are designed to make money. How else can they pay for million dollar bonuses and big shiny buildings full of workers?

also remember if you decide to get nothing but Medicare it is an 80/20 plan. Medicare pays 80% you pay 20%. If you actually need to use your insurance even a minor problem can cost a lot. No matter how well you take care of yourself anyone can get Covid or have a stroke, heart attack or cancer. And I don’t think it includes drug coverage (part D) but I could be wrong. Then there is the donut hole to confuse everyone more.

educate yourself and get the best plan to fit your needs.

also I have never heard of brokers getting paid more to push advantage plans. Anybody have evidence of that?

When DH first signed up, we went to a state nonprofit that helps seniors with Medicare issues. Very helpful as the system is unnecessarily complicated and bureaucratic. And like most things, designed for profit.

My husband's current Advantage plan with Aetna won't be offered in our state next year. I was able to find a Humana plan that I think will work.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I pay right around 400 for Part B, D, and a supplement plan from AARP. So yeah, Advantage can look good price-wise, very good.

Now we are in an Open Enrollment Period until 12/7. I am doing a lot of muting of commercials when I watch television. There sure are a lot of handsome dudes and feisty females promoting Medicare Advantage! This too will pass.

I still believe the better alternative is traditional Medicare with supplement B and D. Thus, I am not impressed by the advertised opportunity to save money (ha-ha), or get free rides to medical appointments. Read the fine print. Medicare Advantage is "in network doctors and hospitals". It is managed care (approval of care by the insurance company will be required). Co-pay (pay as you go) awaits. Medicare Advantage works best if you don't get sick or need medical procedures.

The linked 22-minute podcast "Medicare Open Enrollment" goes into greater detail.

http://friendstalkmoney.org

Thread Information