Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What is your favourite camping can opener?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    36

    What is your favourite camping can opener?

    Me and my husband go often to camping. We're looking for a good camping can opener. We've had one but it wasn't so good and we're looking for one that will last for long. What is the best camping can opener? Do you have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member herbgeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,568
    I don't have a special one for camping. The one I use at home is an oxo brand. I have arthritis in my hands and find the oxo products to be easy to use and manipulate.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,915
    I have always used an el cheapo type winding style off the shelf from the supermarket. However, I occationally throw in a military style P-51 opener similar to this one. Nothing to break and small.

    https://www.rei.com/product/696009/c...r-package-of-2

  4. #4
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I have always used an el cheapo type winding style off the shelf from the supermarket. However, I occationally throw in a military style P-51 opener similar to this one. Nothing to break and small.

    https://www.rei.com/product/696009/c...r-package-of-2
    I have the smaller P-38 on my camper key ring. I've had this one since my C-ration days back in the 70's, it has never let me down.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I have always used an el cheapo type winding style off the shelf from the supermarket. However, I occationally throw in a military style P-51 opener similar to this one. Nothing to break and small.

    https://www.rei.com/product/696009/c...r-package-of-2
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I have the smaller P-38 on my camper key ring, it has never let me down.
    These are what we use at home as well as camping. If I recall correctly, they used to be called a "John Wayne".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  6. #6
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,925
    I avoid bringing cans when camping, they are so heavy and tend to have wasted water-weight in the product. There may be a small can opener on the small multitool that I have in my 3-day+ pack.

    Note that if you need to open a can, a rock and friction will suffice.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X_abZ74WTw

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,395
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I avoid bringing cans when camping, they are so heavy and tend to have wasted water-weight in the product. There may be a small can opener on the small multitool that I have in my 3-day+ pack.

    Note that if you need to open a can, a rock and friction will suffice.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X_abZ74WTw
    Very neat! Did you read the comments under the video? Some people just weren't impressed - lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  8. #8
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Very neat! Did you read the comments under the video? Some people just weren't impressed - lol.
    Ya, this guy's technique is a bit inept :-)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •