Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retiring on $27,000 a Year

Yppej

Retiring on $27,000 a Year

I had not heard of this couple before they showed up in my newsfeed today:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...d=winp1taskbar

Whenever I read one of these live-a-shoestring stories, I have to wonder what happens if somebody gets sick. I’m inclined to say “get back to me in twenty years, and maybe I’ll be impressed”.

I’m aware many people are living on very little, but I can’t imagine it’s all that enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Whenever I read one of these live-a-shoestring stories, I have to wonder what happens if somebody gets sick. I’m inclined to say “get back to me in twenty years, and maybe I’ll be impressed”.

I’m aware many people are living on very little, but I can’t imagine it’s all that enjoyable.
    That is REALLY scaled down income. They are living on the edge. This is aspirational?

I also think you could live in places with seasons at that rate, places like Arkansas and Missouri, the Carolinas, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I also think you could live in places with seasons at that rate, places like Arkansas and Missouri, the Carolinas, Kentucky and Tennessee.
    They live in a beach town, basically right on the beach, that's plenty pleasant scenery and better weather than inland (less humid). With all the downsides of Florida including hurricanes and climate change sure probably, but it's beachfront living, it's pleasant, I'm not sure those alternatives sound better.

I do look askance on anyone whose retirement needs to be funded by writing about it, come on that is not sustainable, everyone can't do that, what we're all just going to sell each other retirement books , that's not a plan of any sort. But generally I guess they are doing what they can. I mean at 67 retirement may not be so much chosen anyway, how many job opportunities existed otherwise. One clue is collecting SS at 62, sometimes that's planned, but that's often a desperation move. If you work 10 hours a week and manage to make it work with pensions and Social Security etc. because you're long past the age you can get a full time job even if you even wanted one, well okay, good for you. But we can't all sell each other books on it
    Trees don't grow on money

We have occasional months ( a few times a year) where we spend about that much, we are in a high-ish cost of living (eg real estate taxes of 6K per year). I don't feel deprived in those months, but I also don't do it every month.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    They live in a beach town, basically right on the beach, that's plenty pleasant scenery and better weather than inland (less humid). With all the downsides of Florida including hurricanes and climate change sure probably, but it's beachfront living, it's pleasant, I'm not sure those alternatives sound better.

I do look askance on anyone whose retirement needs to be funded by writing about it, come on that is not sustainable, everyone can't do that, what we're all just going to sell each other retirement books , that's not a plan of any sort. But generally I guess they are doing what they can. I mean at 67 retirement may not be so much chosen anyway, how many job opportunities existed otherwise. One clue is collecting SS at 62, sometimes that's planned, but that's often a desperation move. If you work 10 hours a week and manage to make it work with pensions and Social Security etc. because you're long past the age you can get a full time job even if you even wanted one, well okay, good for you. But we can't all sell each other books on it
    This couple mentioned missing seasons which is why I brought this up.

This couple, assuming they are reasonably physically fit at 67, can EASILY get a part time job in Missouri, low wages of course, but it sounds like that’s what they’re used to because they are not bringing in much from Social Security income.
    Personally I think selling art is not the best way to put a few thousand dollars annually into their pockets, but sounds like that’s pretty much what they are accustomed to doing.

They should get part time jobs and try to save some money. Once their old car dies they won’t be able to replace it. Doesn’t sound like fun to me.

I read that article a few days ago and I had mixed feelings about it. It seems to be working for them, and that's great. What surprised me is that they are living on 27k but they are still working on paying off debt. Without debt, I think you could live on that in the manner in which they are doing it--low COL place, pare expenses to the bone.

I know this is my weird way of looking at money, but I still hate that in this affluent country we have very inflated ideas about what we "need." A hundred years ago, people have few needs and few expenses. If living on 27k works for them, if they have what they think they need, I think that's wonderful for them.

That being said, I've learned enough about myself to know that I would not enjoy living that close to the bone if I didn't have to. IOW, I could adjust to living on 27k if I had to, but the fact that they voluntarily gave up fairly decent jobs and are banking on selling a couple of hundred dollars worth of art work and/or writing every now and then is not a lifestyle I would choose for myself--unless I had to.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What an interesting article! I find it scary to read these numbers and imagine trying to live this close to the bone. More power to them--I would be getting a part-time job if those were my numbers, and jobs often bring other benefits, such as meals if you work at a restaurant, or discounts is you work retail. I'd be sad if I had to buy all my clothes at Goodwill. Not that I haven't bought clothes at Goodwill. But it's nice to have choices, and nice to feel there is money saved to keep the wolf from the door. 67 is not too old to work, either--I'll be 66 soon and I work part-time and take social security. My husband plans to work until he is 70, and I am hoping he continues past then, as he gets a lot out of it, whether he realizes it or not.

They are close to being out of debt, so that is wonderful.

Met a waitress at Cracker Barrel who was 70. We had a short conversation and she said she was one of their most productive workers. She really knew how to do the job and keep everyone happy. My exercise instructor is 69 and he also does personal training. Best instructor I have ever had. A fast food place here hires teenagers and seniors. Bet they don't have to keep after those seniors with the added benefit of being able to work during school hours

My husband is 69 and works construction on Habitat for Humanity projects. It can be physically demanding. They have a locksmith who is 90 that volunteers.

Age is not determinative IF you can keep your health.

Thread Information