Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with inflation?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Not buying stuff I don’t need.
    This, mostly. Then like anything else, you have to judge what is your time worth.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

I jumped at the opportunity earlier this year to resell a 4 year old used sports car back to the dealer for basically what I bought it for, perhaps even realizing a small profit once the warranty and service contracts were refunded. I'm looking at reselling two other vehicles too, as dealers continue to offer more than is reasonable for them.
    Was this the little red one you posted a picture of some time back? (don't remember what it was)

Now, on the flip side, has this inflation helped anyone?
    I found out today, me, quite potentially. Rundown house in my old neighborhood (one street over) was bought for $11K, they put 20k in and it sold last week for $110K. It is the same layout as most of the houses in that area, compared to the last one I know that sold. With this market, I could potentially end up in my current location for less then 50K, on a quite a bit more expensive house, then my old one.

I am wondering how much the old Frank James in laws house, will go for up the street.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    This, mostly. Then like anything else, you have to judge what is your time worth.

Was this the little red one you posted a picture of some time back? (don't remember what it was)

Now, on the flip side, has this inflation helped anyone?
    I found out today, me, quite potentially. Rundown house in my old neighborhood (one street over) was bought for $11K, they put 20k in and it sold last week for $110K. It is the same layout as most of the houses in that area, compared to the last one I know that sold. With this market, I could potentially end up in my current location for less then 50K, on a quite a bit more expensive house, then my old one.

I am wondering how much the old Frank James in laws house, will go for up the street.
    The James Gang, for those not from Missouri.

Did you ever see that wonderful movie about Jesse James with Casey Affleck? “ The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford.” It is really good. It is poignant in showing how Robert Ford spent the rest of his life being the depised man who shot Jesse James.

I was going to say the same as IL, but Rogar's comment reminded me that I am about to put some of our cash into I bonds for the very first time, and that is inflation related.

I'm also just trying to not buy stuff and trying to spend less. That said, we are still waiting for a plumber to come and have already put out the deposit for the patio and mason work for the house.

It always seemed to me that the area I feel I have most control over spending is food. So, I'm going to re-organize the pantry and REALLY see what is in there and start using it and stocking where needed.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Restrict bond investments to the short end.

Avoid variable rate debt.

Keep current on your tax management strategy.

Vote Republican.

Rosa, I am doing the same thing with the I bonds. Llama, your first 3 strategies are good ideas. Your last one not so much.

I'm like happystuff--looking mostly at food costs, but that has less to do with inflation and more to do with just trying to proactively manage meals and shopping trips in general. My food bill was really high last month and I don't know why. It's a tad lower this month, but I know by the end of the month I'm not going to be happy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Yes, a car that had a top speed of 205mph and a 10-second-range 1/4 mile time seemed a bit silly to keep around on an island with a top speed of 35mph, and covid limiting my road-tripping opportunities :-) When they offered to buy it back, I was happy to let it move on, fine car though it was.

Bae, do you still have the Mini?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Restrict bond investments to the short end.

Avoid variable rate debt.

Keep current on your tax management strategy.

Vote Republican.
    I avoid debt and won’t pay interest on anything, Even if someone can show me on paper that it’s in my best interest I just don’t do that. I also any more don’t think much about tax avoidance because it’s just too complicated. Granted, not that I made many moves according to taxes, but it’s just impossible to figure out.

I’m gonna live my life the way I want to live it and drawdown money the way I want to draw it and when I wish to.

so be it..

I will generally vote Republican though.

Thread Information