Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with inflation?

Quote Originally Posted by GL from QC View Post
    I think this counts. I found an amazing deal on rice at my local grocery store: 11 cents per 100 grams, or ~50 cents / lb, or (in USD) $0.40 / lb. Of course, then I had to carry that 20 lbs bag of rice home (about a mile away), so I got an excellent workout for my biceps as well.
    Win-win!

I went to our local grocery market yesterday, and paid careful attention.

I normally just "shop along the walls" and get produce, dairy, and meat. The past year or so, meat prices have been through the roof, so I typically only buy anything that looks good and is on sale - $30/lb steak doesn't appeal to me. Produce selections have been diminished and expensive as well.

On this expedition, I found very little of anything worth buying. Most of the produce was sad and overpriced. The meat selection, while fairly broad, was priced sky-high, and nothing of note was on sale. Cheese and dairy prices were up from their already-high prices of several weeks ago. I came out of the store having spent very little, with only a bag of necessaries.

I will probably live out of my pantry and freezers for the coming year, and buy lower-priced "substitute goods" when I do purchase things. I am also ceasing all unnecessary spending entirely, to maintain my cash reserves.

Luckily, the cow I had raised for me is ready for pickup today - $4.50/lb for local, ethically-raised beef, from a good friend. Hopefully I can convince my dog to happily eat beef instead of chicken as the protein component of the meals I make for him.

I wonder if stagflation is in the cards for the coming year? All those folks who have declined to go back to work for The Man, faced with these high prices, may also decline to participate in the expensive part of the economy.

Who knows?

Our local Sprouts had all dried beans for 25% off so I stocked up as one of my favorite meals is beans and rice. Every country has their own version so plenty of recipes. Filled the tank at Costco - $2.79 a gal. The problem here seems to be that certain items at the grocery are just gone. DH said that all crackers were out of stock at Trader Joe's. Most of them are made in Canada so maybe that has something to do with it. So many mysteries these days.

Talked today to my sister living south of Raleigh NC who commented on the empty shelves currently in grocery stores and the reduced shopping hours. I am horrified at the prices that she is paying for fresh vegetables and fruits.
    Aside from local apples from the farmer and fresh milk, I am living out of my pantry and freezer. I do monitor a discount section but not interested in more chocolate, however good it might be.

Dog food is complete, good quality and delivered to my home.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We live in an area with extremely high competition for the food and other spending dollar. Lots of stores all over. This really helps to moderate issues with prices and empty shelves. Although it is strange that frozen breaded chicken and instant ramen are hard to keep in stock at our big box store. Geography really helps.

I do not like shopping so have determined who has what I want at the generally best prices. I do one big box(not Walmart) shop with fill ins from reduced price product at a small Kroger we like. We have a freezer so we can buy a little more when on a very good sale. We will change our menu depending on what we find.

One of our big supermarket chains is on strike for higher wages and benefits. I hardly blame them after dealing with Covid and skyrocketing housing, but I assume everything will be passed on to the consumer eventually. And I suspect other big chains to follow suit. National network TV talking heads are claiming groceries are up something like 15% over a year ago, which doesn't seem like as much as the anecdotal stories I hear. Produce looked fresh today and the only empty shelves I noticed were items on sale. I suppose more people are bargain shopping.

If it is a concern by springtime, I'm going to expand the garden spaces.

Trying to eat less and lose weight. If I get the least sniffle I take a decongestant since everyone is so paranoid these days about normal cold symptoms and I don't want to be a pariah. That helps suppress my appetite.

Here is another interesting fact. I have counted at least 20+ new and newish Asian and Hispanic grocery stores opening up all over. 14 on one road alone. We do have a lot of Burmese due to refugee resettlement and enough from Mexico to have our own consulate. Maybe they know something about finding ingredients or want the specialized products they are familiar with that the big box stores do not stock.

We just bought a cow from a local farmer and had it slaughtered and processed. It saves quite a bit as long as you have the freezer space. Won’t need to worry about shortages for the next year or two either.

The main thing that has really gone up for us this winter are utilities. We were warned that the average household would see a $30 increase but it is closer to having doubled even though the usage is the same as last year. All of this supposedly due to the Texas freezes and the price of gas going up. I continue to wear three layers top and bottom and keep the thermostat at 62 during the day and 55 at night as I really don't want a $300 bill.

Thread Information