Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with inflation?

Pinky I don’t know how you can stand it that cold. In the house we only had electric baseboard heat so during the day it was 68 and at night we would turn every room to 55 except the one we slept in. That was bad enough. In my condo we are on a boiler system and heat is part of the hoa fee.

That would be too cold for us. We keep the temp at 70 during the day and it goes down to 65 at night. It costs what it costs, but at least our house is quite small. I don't want to be uncomfortable in my own home if I can avoid it.

pinkytoe, we keep our heat about the same - 63. And, yes, I'm seeing some of the monthly bills have been increased. Not a lot, but combined it makes a bit of a dent. First off, was garbage pickup. Sigh...
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    That would be too cold for us. We keep the temp at 70 during the day and it goes down to 65 at night. It costs what it costs, but at least our house is quite small. I don't want to be uncomfortable in my own home if I can avoid it.
    Your temperature sounds about right for us--if we had a thermostat. An interesting aspects of living up here is one of the things that most people take for granted--a constant temperature of their choosing--doesn't happen in our house. Our woodstove burns as it will. Our electric baseboards are old and have an "on" and "off" switch, so you turn it on until you start sweltering and then you turn it off until you start freezing.

What complicates that equation is that DH and I have different body temperatures and then we have to navigate that as well. I keep pushing for a heat pump / mini split so we can get a constant temperature and not waste heat, but he seems to be against that. If there will be anything that will force us into separate bedrooms at night this will be it. I like cool in the bedroom--he likes "sauna"

As for the topic of inflation, we have been trying to hold down food expenses--by that I mean basic food, not restaurants and take-out--and our food budget is still going to be high. I have to do some further analysis if it's the choice of foods we're buying or a rise in the prices of the same things we bought last year. But I'm disappointed. We spent $347 in the first two weeks of January. We used up leftovers, made a lot of soup, took things out of the freezer, and the food bill is still high.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My 1984 old furnace in rented condo finally broke about a week after I got back from FL. Landlord will fix it and it works for a day, but that’s it. He got me a ceramic tower electric space heater and I got one of the oil filled radiator looking ones. I don’t run them when I’m at work or otherwise not home. I run the ceramic one on low unless it’s very cold out. I am running very hot these days. I’m fine with the temp at 59 or 60. New furnace has been ordered but no clue how long it will take for it to arrive or to be installed.

My last natural gas bill was $44. Since the furnace doesn’t run much (when it was working as I keep it low), the bill is mostly from my long hot baths every night.

Free lunch at work today.

I just got my power bill for the last month, which included the all-time-record cold period here. Nearly $900! And I was burning the wood stove constantly and went through mountains of wood, and have a well-insulated home.

Bae, what would your usual electric bill be this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Bae, what would your usual electric bill be this time of year?
    In a "normal" cold month, ~$350 or so if I used the wood stove whenever it dropped below 45 outside.

Thread Information