Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I hate IRA’s

I think I hate IRA’s

So many rules surrounding this kind of money. So. Many. Rules.
    I reported a couple weeks ago that we are now going to start giving money out of our IRAs to qualified charities. We even got two checkbooks, one for my IRA and one for the IRA of DH.

Then I ran across this old thread

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...lified+charity

… which makes it clear we need to be 70.5 years old. We are not that old yet.

One of our financial guys suggested it when we were talking about moving money to the charitable arm of one of our investment firms. But I doubt that he checked our age for this activity.

I will check with our tax guy to make sure, but it looks like we have to be 70 1/2 to be moving money out of an IRA directly to a charity and neither party pays tax. F..u…xx..k it.

And then, when we were meeting with our attorney to update our will and trust this week, she went into lots of blah blah blah about IRAs, and how they have special requirements and special rules when that money is left to heirs. Jesus God. it’s so complicated, that info stayed in my head for a minute and then left. I can’t tell even tell you what it’s all about.

This is all so complicated so that the government is sure to get its pound of flesh from any of that money sitting in IRAs. The government is hovering over it all, watching carefully, filling the world with lots of rules and gotchas if anyone touches that money that they have yet to get their claws into.

Okay---As soon as you get that done, you prolly should sit down and review all of your insurance coverage. You've GOT rto have total insurance coverage, on everything! So--get several Umbrella Policies, that cover everything that your other policies may've missed. Someday, that airliner you siting on may have a total engine failure over the Atlantic, due to an act of God; Someday, a trucker may be heading the WRONG WAY on the 4 lane, right toward you, on your way to a flower show! And the trucker let his policy lapse, two days before! So, you'll need plenty of insurance coverage. Yup. Hope that helps you some2022-08-15 (11).jpg2023-01-09.jpg2023-01-09.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Okay---As soon as you get that done, you prolly should sit down and review all of your insurance coverage. You've GOT rto have total insurance coverage, on everything! So--get several Umbrella Policies, that cover everything that your other policies may've missed. Someday, that airliner you siting on may have a total engine failure over the Atlantic; Someday, a trucker may be heading the WRONG WAY on the 4 lane, right toward you, on your way to a flower show. And the trucker let his policy lapse, two days before. So, you'll need plenty of insurance coverage. Yup. Hope that helps you some

I actually was going to review insurance coverage this year, but decided not to since I hear it’s going up all over anyway. But we do not insure everything, we insure for the big stuff and then, with high deductibles. But since you have no assets to protect you can do you little Bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    And then, when we were meeting with our attorney to update our will and trust this week, she went into lots of blah blah blah about IRAs, and how they have special requirements and special rules when that money is left to heirs. Jesus God. it’s so complicated, that info stayed in my head for a minute and then left. I can’t tell even tell you what it’s all about.

This is all so complicated so that the government is sure to get its pound of flesh from any of that money sitting in IRAs. The government is hovering over it all, watching carefully, filling the world with lots of rules and gotchas if anyone touches that money that they have yet to get their claws into.
    But you have already received all kinds of tax benefits from the IRA. When is the govt supposed to get to take out the taxes, if not when you take it out? The charity thing makes sense. It made no sense to me when you said you could write a check to a charity--I had never heard of that, and have taken money our of an IRA for 25 years. But it's cool that you can do it at 70.5, extremely cool, just earmark it and wait and have a party when you send the first check.

Ditto heirs. What my husband inherits from it will be different than what the kids inherit, what he can do and they can do. There is so much out there to read about IRA's and they've been a wonderful tool for accumulation with the tax deferment.

Okay---Aways rember: FCSP&G. Yup. Food, Comfort, Security, Prestige, and Graaaaandkids! Do that,and get piles of insurance so you'll be totally protected. Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    But you have already received all kinds of tax benefits from the IRA. When is the govt supposed to get to take out the taxes, if not when you take it out? The charity thing makes sense. It made no sense to me when you said you could write a check to a charity--I had never heard of that, and have taken money our of an IRA for 25 years. But it's cool that you can do it at 70.5, extremely cool, just earmark it and wait and have a party when you send the first check.

Ditto heirs. What my husband inherits from it will be different than what the kids inherit, what he can do and they can do. There is so much out there to read about IRA's and they've been a wonderful tool for accumulation with the tax deferment.
    oh, I know, you are right, I just like to bitch and moan. Let me have my whine! Haha

Yppej
    So can't you take it out without penalty at 59 1/2? What keeps you from taking it out and then giving it to charity?

Oh God yes, I got a beneficiary IRA and it was complex!!! BUT, I will be dead when my IRA leftovers are distributed. In our case, all that is left is going to charities so I do not have to think about it. The laws were recently revised and it is more complicated than when I inherited. I love having a special checkbook to write checks to the charities from the IRA.

Funny thing. My genius brother has to file a gift tax return. He made the mistake of thinking he could just read a publication and understand it. Did not ask me who had 31 years of answering IRS questions. In fact, when I gave him an answer and even another person said the same thing, he did not believe us. No gift tax unless you give away $12 million in your lifetime. Yes to form, no to tax to pay. He still thinks we are wrong.

Throw in major charitable foundation donations and the level of complexity jumps too. Can help with tax management when large income comes in but not for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    So can't you take it out without penalty at 59 1/2? What keeps you from taking it out and then giving it to charity?
    I have to pay a tax when I take it out. I don’t have to pay “penalty “but I have to pay tax. I’m trying to avoid the government getting its pound of flesh

When I’m 70.5 years old I can move money from an IRA to a qualified charity, and neither party has to pay any tax. The federal government will get nothing. Zero. It will get what it deserves zero.

Thread Information