Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with inflation?

Our cold weather utilities are a bit lower, largely due to shutting down the pool for the winter. Those things are pigs.

Last electric bill was $21 as I’m not using the ac.

Not eating out nearly as often. Living on what's left after the bills are paid.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Discretionary items can be reduced or eliminated, by consensus.

The New York Times sent a letter advising of a 20% increase in the subscription price. I discussed with DW: do we believe it will be worth $48 per month to receive the Sunday print edition in 2023? There are also online services available at no additionsal cost to subscribers. As it happened, we both thought the journalism of the NYT helps to enlarge our world, so we decided to let the subscription roll for another year.

Had we decided the 20% increase was unacceptable to us, we would have cancelled.

I bought a Washington post subscription a little over a year ago. When the renewal came up they wanted a significant increase. When I said no the offered me a significantly decreased price so I said yes.

The nytimes online is subscribed to by our library so I can access it for free but with the worthwhile hassle of re-upping my ‘subscription’ every three days.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I bought a Washington post subscription a little over a year ago. When the renewal came up they wanted a significant increase. When I said no the offered me a significantly decreased price so I said yes.
    I've found that to be the case for both the Post and the NYT. I get the introductory rate of $4 a month for a year and then they have tried to raise the rate significantly. When I go to cancel my subscription they say, won't you come back for the introductory rate of $4 a month. It's happened two or three times now. A similar thing happened my the NYT cooking subscription.

That's just for the online subscription. It would be nice to have a real Sunday paper to spread out and read as sort of a tradition. I can imagine how that could be expensive the way postal rates are.

The nytimes online is subscribed to by our library so I can access it for free but with the worthwhile hassle of re-upping my ‘subscription’ every three days.
    Thanks for mentioning this, JP. I checked my library's website, and I can completely read a local daily paper online through them (the city next door, but this paper includes news from my town), and I can search and read specific articles or topics in the NYT (Consumer Reports too). That was a nice discovery, especially since our local town newspaper is gone and has been replaced by a generic USA Today type of publication that doesn't include any actual news about our town.
    Last edited by rosarugosa; 11-25-22 at 7:10am. Reason: fixed typo

Went to the grocery store yesterday and was shocked by the price of butter! It is almost $6 for a pound!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Went to the grocery store yesterday and was shocked by the price of butter! It is almost $6 for a pound!
    I know!! Our local food market had it on sale a couple of weeks ago for $2.50 and we bought as much as we were allows. Our freezer is stocked with butter now.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would desperately love a print subscription to The Economist, a weekly current affairs magazine out of the UK. It costs hundreds a year. I can get the digital edition free through my library. Reading it on my iPhone is somewhat challenging as I have to move around on pages to read everything. An iPad would solve that problem, but I don’t want to spend on an iPad now either. So I’ll continue to read it on my iPhone for free.

Thread Information