Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with inflation?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

How are you dealing with inflation?

What are your ways to deal with inflation/price hikes? I understand that my ways are not for everybody, but what are your ways?

I'll start.

A. Living an auto free life

B. All clothes until further notice (other than socks and underwear) coming from the Nogales AZ Goodwill where clothes are sold by weight and unbelievable deals can be found. An example - a men's lightly worn Wilson's leather jacket for $3!!!

C. Using smartphone apps to take pics of all our receipts for points toward gift cards which can be used for Christmas.

D. Using my employee discount for food and growing some of my own food in the backyard. This year there's been a bumper crop of Armenian Cucumber and in another month there will be a bumper crop of navel oranges and figs.

E. Stocking up in Mexico on prescription meds.

What are some of your workarounds to inflation? Rob

Not buying stuff I don’t need.

Yppej
    Eating free snacks at work.

I try to hypermile but I'm not consistent.

Doing the best job I can supporting our sales staff so we meet our monthly goal and get a free breakfast.

Refusing to buy overpriced items. If it's 10 or 15% more fine but I will not pay double, the exception being gas.

Continuing to stay local for recreation. More hiking and other free activities, though avoiding mask requirements also plays a role as well as inflation. I am not going to museums, for instance.

My new hobby, fighting my city's mask mandate, is low cost.

I’m dealing with it by not paying attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’m dealing with it by not paying attention to it.
    Yep, me too!’

I've not changed anything spending wise, but I've been looking at TIPS as an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    A. Living an auto free life
    I will say that the used Fiat 500e electric vehicle I purchased right before the pandemic has cut my transportation costs, and bother, hugely. I basically haven't bought gasoline for nearly 2 years, unless I am doing something out-of-routine. I drive the remaining gasoline vehicles now-and-then to keep them happy, and this electric vehicle requires near-zero service and attention, which is a huge time/bother-saver.

I jumped at the opportunity earlier this year to resell a 4 year old used sports car back to the dealer for basically what I bought it for, perhaps even realizing a small profit once the warranty and service contracts were refunded. I'm looking at reselling two other vehicles too, as dealers continue to offer more than is reasonable for them.

Wow, Bae. Good timing on selling the cars!

So far, I'm doing what Iris Lilies is modeling--at least for now.

I don’t need anything. The only exception is I am waiting on the estimate for a new sliding glass door and bedroom windows. They are original and 43 years old. I will proceed if reasonable. Otherwise I just buy food and I intend to keep eating what I want.

Thread Information