Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with inflation?

Part B Medicare premiums will cost 170/month for 2022 and the deductible went up by 30. Our car gas is now 4.35/gallon. My dog insurance went up 20/month so I switched to the lower plan. The dog’s dentals literally doubled in price from 300 if no teeth were pulled to 600. My yearly dental doubled in price to have my bottom implant supported denture removed and cleaned underneath. It went from 370 to 740. The only place I saved money is I switched to T-Mobile’s 15/month prepaid plan. In my state their coverage is the best. My son has noticed the food increases more than I have.

Mom, who is 89, wanted to go buy some specific yarn. The trip would require a 45-60 minute round trip for me and no guarantee the store closest to her would have all she needed. So I got online and ordered it. It was on sale and I ordered enough to not have shipping.

Note: She can go to this store on her group bus every two weeks but would miss the sale week. So I saved the gas, the time, the stress (I hate driving and shopping), and got exactly what we needed on sale. It was delivered in one week. Plus we are seeing her this week to take her all the way across town to a hearing aid appointment and I can give her the yarn then.

Win win for me. (Mom is only disappointed we are not doing a day of window shopping.)

This is kind of how we deal with inflation. Can we avoid the expense or combine the trips or use up what we have. (wish mom would use up some of the huge stash she has but at 89 it is a small thing to make her happy.)

I stocked up through the summer so will eat that first. Surprised at the increase in the price of chicken.

Over the year I have examined the products that I buy. One day, when shopping for groceries, I was stunned at the number of feet of shelving of house cleaning supplies- the packaging involved and transport to make it available and how I have taken all these for granted. Now i mix my own laundry detergent with grated soap, borax and washing soda. with vinegar for softener I mix a general surface cleaner of 4C of water, a squirt of dish detergent and 3 Tbsp of Javex to clean everything from kitchen counter, bathroom sink, vinyl flooring and toilets. It is amazing how simple things can be and how cost-effective.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm a big salad eater and normally buy organic romaine since it keeps the best. Jumped from 1.99 to 3.49 a head! So...we will eat more frozen veggies and/or grain/bean salads as sides instead. Might try growing some lettuce under lights since I have the setup for seed-starting. Have stopped running one purpose errands and try to combine when possible. No more eating out - it now costs nearly $30 for lunch out. A definite return to more frugal ways.

The price of gas here is aout $3.30/gal. I actually think it is just returning to the prepandemic levels when demend went way down. I'd like to think gas prices could possibly mark a return or accelerated interest more efficient vehicles. I recall a time when the big gass guzzlers and SUVs were hard to sell. We've been spoiled with cheap gas the last couple of years due to low demand. Now it's just more normal.

I don't buy meat and for a recent while my other groceries were not seeing a big jump, but now I've noticed it more commonly in non-meat products and especially staples.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I'm a big salad eater and normally buy organic romaine since it keeps the best. Jumped from 1.99 to 3.49 a head! So...we will eat more frozen veggies and/or grain/bean salads as sides instead. Might try growing some lettuce under lights since I have the setup for seed-starting. Have stopped running one purpose errands and try to combine when possible. No more eating out - it now costs nearly $30 for lunch out. A definite return to more frugal ways.
    Beware of how much grow-lights will add to your electric bill.

I still remember the jump in our electric bill when, one year, we put seedlings under lights in the basement.

I've been trying to keep my eyes open for deals with regards to the few Christmas presents that I will actually get. I'm not a shopper at all, but went out yesterday to pick up printer ink and made sure I walked the Clearance aisle at Walmart. Ended up finding some stocking stuffers at what I think was a tremendous discount price. I think that is how it's going to have to be. I don't like shopping, but I guess I'll need to get out there to find such deals. Not too many folks to buy for and not too many left, so I'm hopeful that I'll get this over with quickly and can then enjoy the holiday season in other ways.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

You can get LED grow lights now--that should save some. I've looked at hydroponic setups.

TT--ouch! Inflation has really hit you hard.

Try sticking the romaine in a jar with a little water in the bottom. When I worked in a farm stand, that's how we kept the lettuces in the fridge (only it was a lug). I've had lettuces start to root this way!

Thread Information