Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with inflation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Small stores, too, which can get quite crowded. If someone is looking to avoid people, maybe a bad idea.

They used to be small stores, now they are not.

My local one gets pretty crowded and it is a newer one.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I got online and ordered it. It was on sale and I ordered enough to not have shipping. It was delivered in one week.
    Generally I prefer to shop in local stores for food and supplies, but I also will order on-line from Amazon or Walgreens if there is a significant saving. There is one grocery store in my little town. Currently their price for Folgers ground coffee (all blends) is $7.97 for 24 oz ($0.3293 per ounce.) I can get Amazon's "Happy Belly" brand of ground coffee in 24-29 ounce tins at 23 to 27 cents per ounce. The local in-store price is about 35% higher than AMZN price on this occasion.

Substitution of a lower priced item or a lower priced channel of distribution is a short-term response to inflation.

I found most of what I wanted at Aldi's with some things a little lower, others higher. Like Market Basket they did not have cornmeal. Next week I will hit Walmart which is also nearby.

Gas prices here have dropped quite a bit recently. At costco I paid $4.35 9 days ago, down from $4.85 five weeks ago when I last bought. Now it's down to $4.25. Gas isn't a big part of my budget but I'll take it. Our gas/electric rate hasn't gone up, but it's been a little cool for this time of year so we just got a $199 bill for the past month. Our electric usage is pretty steady at around 400 kwh/month so the increase is all because of gas usage for the furnace. We'll probably replace it this spring with a more efficient unit since it's now 44 years old.

I never paid much attention to gas prices--even during the Carter administration when I was waiting in line at the pump in my 8 mile a gallon Ford and driving to work every day. I certainly wouldn't hold OPEC prices against a president or party.

I never paid much attention to gas prices--even during the Carter administration when I was waiting in line at the pump in my 8-mile a gallon Ford and driving to work every day.
    really who wants to waste much time worrying about gas prices going up, buy a fuel efficient car so it won't be much of a worry, and accept they bounce around a bit. Or of course better yet buy a hybrid or an all electric car if it makes sense (the electric cars need somewhere to charge and so are harder for those in apartments as they can't charge at home - although would be doable the way my parking situation is). I seriously doubt my next car will be gas, but I only have like 50k miles on this car.
    Trees don't grow on money

Well, my newly-married son transferred his cell phone from my account to his wife's. I also changed the multi-line insurance to single coverage for my daughter's new iPhone. My phone and my husband's are paid for and old, so not worth insuring at this point. Between the two changes, I'll be saving $77 a month on our cell phone bill. Woot!!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Well, my newly-married son transferred his cell phone from my account to his wife's. I also changed the multi-line insurance to single coverage for my daughter's new iPhone. My phone and my husband's are paid for and old, so not worth insuring at this point. Between the two changes, I'll be saving $77 a month on our cell phone bill. Woot!!
    That is a big saving. Well done!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I think this counts. I found an amazing deal on rice at my local grocery store: 11 cents per 100 grams, or ~50 cents / lb, or (in USD) $0.40 / lb. Of course, then I had to carry that 20 lbs bag of rice home (about a mile away), so I got an excellent workout for my biceps as well.
    Earn more, spend less, invest the rest.
    www.letsretireyoung.com

Thread Information