Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parent(s) ashes

Curious what your mother's thoughts are on the disposition of the remains. Sounds like he just want to have things done and isn't taking anybody's feelings into consideration. I would want it settled as well but not at the expense of other's feelings.

I'm glad that everyone I cared about is buried at Willamette National (veteran's) Cemetery outside of Portland.

Brother met my email sent with attempt to explore options, including splitting ashes, with a hostile email saying fine, we'll do nothing, and I wrote back attempting to placate him saying whatever he wanted to do was absolutely fine and we should do whatever made him feel better. Other brother called to say he did not know why older brother was bullying me but he had noticed and thought it was because older brother was grieving. (There is no excuse in my book for the way he is acting, but it's probably an explanation, I was scapegoated in the family and he is doing what he always did to me.)

I appreciate all the comments here and have been working through and thinking about them all. My mom has no thoughts about disposition of remains as she has severe dementia and does not remember my father. Jane, I wish my dad had wanted to be buried at the veterans cemetary in Beaufort, but he did not. It sure would have made the whole thing simpler for both of them.

I wrote back attempting to placate him
    You realize this is impossible, right?

That's my problem, herbgeek, realizing this and acting on that knowledge. So many years of bullying, so many years of kow towing. There is no placating him; he seems to be losing it, which makes me wonder about his mental status--forgetting things, losing things, etc.

So sorry this is continuing to be so hard, Tybee. I hope things get settled quickly and you all can move on.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thank you, happystuff!

On a much happier ancestry note, I am going through my grandmother's photo album and have reached out to my dad's first cousin as I have many photos of her grandmother and grandfather, including on their wedding day, and of her mother as a small child. I also found two letters from her mother to my grandfather, so hopefully she will want them, and I can get these to their rightful owner.

Thread Information