Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin accident on set

Alec Baldwin accident on set

Did anyone read/see about Alec Baldwin accidentally shooting and killing the DP and injuring the director of the new movie he's shooting in Santa Fe? It was supposed to be a prop gun.

I like Alec Baldwin and in fact, I binge-watched 30 Rock yesterday, so he's fresh in my memory. What a tragic accident! The article I read in the Times mentioned similar accidents--most notably that of Brandon Lee. Seems bizarre that that kind of accident could even take place. Aren't there better safety precautions for prop guns??
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh! The account I read didn’t say that Alec Baldwin was the shooter. The account I read was very neutral about there being a stunt gun that went off unexpectedly.That is tragic for him, I’m so sorry. I like Alec Baldwin’s comedic efforts and I have to say I feel a little sorry for him with the crazy wife, or I should say the crazy Spanish wife. Oh yeah and also having 1 million young kids at his age which is about my age.

What a terrible thing, I hadn't heard but will look at the news. How awful for everybody involved.

This reminded me of the Brandon Lee shooting years ago. How is it that "stunt guns" have live ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    This reminded me of the Brandon Lee shooting years ago. How is it that "stunt guns" have live ammo?
    That is always my question when I read about these things. Prop guns are supposed to have blanks!!!!!
    Last edited by happystuff; 10-22-21 at 12:04pm.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Brandon's wedding rehearsal (for the local in laws that wouldn't be able to make the wedding), was supposed to be the next weekend after he died. I was supposed to work it. (fiance and parents live behind us)
    The gun had a plug which was dislodged and discharged when fired. It is thought that the same thing happened with this firearm (why you still don't point them at what you are not willing to destroy).
    Blanks don't have bullets, but if the plug has an issue, it becomes the bullet.

TMS, that answers the questions I had. Thank you.

I've heard several reports today that a live round was in the gun. I think the other question I haven't heard addressed at this point is why was the gun pointed and fired at someone on the set. A major tenet of gun safety is that you never point a weapon at someone you don't intend to kill or injure, that you never take someone's word that a weapon is safe without checking it yourself and horseplay with a weapon should never be tolerated. There was more than one screwup in this incident.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    A major tenet of gun safety is that you never point a weapon at someone you don't intend to kill or injure
    I remember my dad telling me this when I was three years old, and several more times--it made a very strong impression on me. I think most children was taught that very early, at least in the 1950's.

But if he accidentally shot the Director of Photography and the director, could he have been pointing the gun at the camera, for a closeup of him pointing the gun, and something happened and that is why it hit those particular two people?

The story makes very little sense.

Why was the gun being pointed at the director of photography and the director? Were those two in some scene? Or was there...moronic horseplay afoot?

Then, as Alan points out, there are layers upon layers of safety violations.

(And as an aside, even "blanks" can kill or seriously injure at close range. Don't dork around with firearms, even "toy" ones, unless you know what the heck you are doing.)

Thread Information