Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin accident on set

From The World of Truth otherwise known as Reddit posters, several of whom claim to be professionals in the film biz:

*gun may have been pointed at the cAmera not at people but Assistant Director and etc were sitting behind camera

* prop guns are real life guns, often old ones, because fake ones are too expensive to make

* there is on set safety protocol for handling prop guns and yes, someone screwed up big time

* blanks must be used because real life sounding fire is
    important! ….this countered by many more posts that say NO! Explosive sounds are added by foley artists in editing…so who knows the truth

*realistic scenes require smoke of a real gunshot, CGI is way too expensive to get a realistic simulation….this countered by CGI pros who say “not at all…smoke is easy to produce…”. So who knows

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The story makes very little sense.

Why was the gun being pointed at the director of photography and the director? Were those two in some scene? Or was there...moronic horseplay afoot?

Then, as Alan points out, there are layers upon layers of safety violations.

(And as an aside, even "blanks" can kill or seriously injure at close range. Don't dork around with firearms, even "toy" ones, unless you know what the heck you are doing.)
    The only gun I ever play around with is my thumb and forefinger, and they are never loaded.

What a nightmare he gets to live with for the rest of his life even it turns out not to be his fault at all.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I see this as an innocent tragedy - sometimes in spite of the best of intentions things just (expletive) up. I wonder if he will be facing charges? I seriously doubt any branch or division of the American justice system understands that sometimes things happen.

BUT KABOOM!!! I just had a deep thought. Is this all that different from Kim Potter, the former LEO in Brooklyn Park, MN, who fatally shot a motorist last Summer during the nationwide protests/rioting/hideous police practices brought to the clear light of day? Supposedly she was reaching for her taser and grabbed her gun instead. If she faces charges for behavior that was supposedly innocent, why does Mr. Baldwin get a free pass?

The gist of my question is - Where does the line of innocence vs. facing charges get drawn? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The gist of my question is - Where does the line of innocence vs. facing charges get drawn? Rob
    These days it depends somewhat on the race of the parties involved.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The movie ranch where that happened is just up the road from me, about ten miles. Went to a friend's wedding there two years ago. Somebody I know of was working on the set and was about 4ft. away when it happened. What a horrible tragedy; I can't even imagine the guilt Baldwin must be feeling. It will be interesting to see all the facts as they come to light.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...2R0vDaHWy5oO1A

I saw a video with John Schneider where he says that there are, or should be, so many safeguards in place to prevent something like this from happening. The cast and crew get trained about the guns they'll be using, there's someone to check if it's loaded, someone else to check if it's loaded before handing it to the actor, who should also check for himself if it's loaded. Someone didn't do their job and let a loaded gun get into the actor's hands. But he also should have checked for himself.

Supposedly there were 'red flags' noticed by an armorer who was going to work on this film. He didn't think there were enough safety precautions or enough crew on the set, so he passed on it.

I have shot guns a few times (a semi-automatic and revolver) and was told, like everyone else, to check it yourself and always assume it's loaded and never point it at anyone or anything you wouldn't want to hurt or kill.

A rumor the news floated was that some members of the crew were using the set guns for recreational target practice with live rounds. That might possibly explain some confusion. Otherwise I can't picture any function for live ammo on the set.

I've had similar training about never pointing a gun at anyone, but that rule obviously goes out when Hollywood requires otherwise and there arer popper precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    A rumor the news floated was that some members of the crew were using the set guns for recreational target practice with live rounds. That might possibly explain some confusion. Otherwise I can't picture any function for live ammo on the set.

I've had similar training about never pointing a gun at anyone, but that rule obviously goes out when Hollywood requires otherwise and there arer popper precautions.
    I know Alec Baldwin isnt popular in some circles, but those circles are insisting that Hollywood customs aside, when you take possession of a firearm, you check it for bullets and/or firing power.

Alec Baldwin himself may not be liable in criminal court, but Alec Baldwin as film producer will certainly see a lawsuit coming his way due to the irregularities on this set. One armorer refused to work on the set, another one who was interviewed said he questioned the film company’s offer to employ him as BOTH armorer AND Prop master. He didnt like the marriage of those two roles.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I know Alec Baldwin isnt popular in some circles, but those circles are insisting that Hollywood customs aside, when you take possession of a firearm, you check it for bullets and/or firing power.
    That's a cardinal rule for anyone handling a firearm, even actors. No one should get a pass on this, not the armorer, the prop master, the assistant director or the actor who assumed all was safe. If Alec Baldwin ever again rants about guns he needs to be reminded that his gun didn't kill someone, he did.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information