Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin accident on set

He should have checked the weapon. I remember a training film showing the gruesome consequences of such mistakes, with a narrator intoning “this is what happens when you trust people”. But I still feel for the guy, no matter how obnoxious I may find him. He will carry a burden of guilt to the end of his days. And I can remember how disgusted I was by all the gloating jackals who had something to say about Dick Cheney’s hunting accident back in the day.

I'm very naive on Hollywood gun safety protocol. In good practice if not formal procedure, the user is responsible for checking to see if there are blanks or live rounds in the chamber or magazine? As common as firearms are in TV and movies, I would suspect that many or most actors or actresses don't even know how to remove a magazine from a semi-auto pistol or rifle, and then unload, inspect, and reload the ammunition without training. Revolvers would be easier. Pumpguns, lever actions, and bolt actions add to the complications. Maybe that will now change, but it seems to me like the actors should have some confidence when handed a weapon that an expert has verified it's state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'm very naive on Hollywood gun safety protocol. In good practice if not formal procedure, the user is responsible for checking to see if there are blanks or live rounds in the chamber or magazine? As common as firearms are in TV and movies, I would suspect that many or most actors or actresses don't even know how to remove a magazine from a semi-auto pistol or rifle, and then unload, inspect, and reload the ammunition without training. Revolvers would be easier. Pumpguns, lever actions, and bolt actions add to the complications. Maybe that will now change, but it seems to me like the actors should have some confidence when handed a weapon that an expert has verified it's state.
    One narrative I read states that gun training is required for those touching a gun on set. I suppose that depends on the production and its adherence to best practices, though.

Alec would not have had time for that, as he had to hustle to meet the production schedule to earn paesatas for the Spanish princess and her brood.

As common as firearms are in TV and movies, I would suspect that many or most actors or actresses don't even know how to remove a magazine from a semi-auto pistol or rifle, and then unload, inspect, and reload the ammunition without training.
    The training required is not rocket science, and 10-15 minutes should suffice for anyone of marginal intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The training required is not rocket science, and 10-15 minutes should suffice for anyone of marginal intelligence.
    For sure. I have just wondered if any sort of training program is, or was commonly in place or if the actors are on their own and trusting of the weapons experts. That would seem to make a difference in any assigment of blame or similar prevention in other instances.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Babe, its Hollywood. Give them an extra 10 minutes.

The video I mentioned also shows how they can just use special effects to show a flash from the "weapon" (Schneider used his finger as the gun). There's no need to actually fire any weapon.

I don't like Alec Baldwin either but he must be feeling horrible. It shows that training and precautions do work when you take into account just how many guns are used in TV and movies. These accidents could be happening more often.

I'm very naive on Hollywood gun safety protocol. In good practice if not formal procedure, the user is responsible for checking to see if there are blanks or live rounds in the chamber or magazine?
    Blanks are live rounds.
    Heck, you shouldn't be sweeping people with an empty gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Blanks are live rounds.
    Heck, you shouldn't be sweeping people with an empty gun.
    A live round or live ammunition refers to a cartridge with powder and bullet, as opposed to a blank round which has no bullet. Fact check if you like.

A live round or live ammunition refers to a cartridge with powder and bullet, as opposed to a blank round which has no bullet. Fact check if you like.
    A blank round typically has some sort of wadding to keep the powder in place, this wadding can also become a projectile at close proximity. I'd say that's live.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information