Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another attempt at a "no clothes shopping for a year" challenge

Another attempt at a "no clothes shopping for a year" challenge

I moved from the northeast to the southwest a couple years ago and needed more warm weather clothes and fewer cold weather ones. I now have enough. I have enough to get me through the year without buying more. Heck, I have enough to get me through 5 years, I'm pretty sure.

Now comes the challenge of resisting tempation. I found some printable PDF charts to track my progress. I really want to succeed at this. Any encouragement is welcome. Also, has anyone else done this? Can you share your successes? I actually did this successfully about 15 years ago, but haven't been able to do it again. I keep failing and giving up. I want to succeed this time.

I haven’t tried this but being retired I rarely go clothes shopping. I did lose 50lbs over a year ago and bought some new clothes. I also got lucky and my best friend lost weight too so she gave me a ton of really nice clothes. Maybe give yourself a pass for any absolutely needed item for example if you need a new pair of shoes because your old ones wore out provided of course that you don’t have a bunch more.

When are you starting the challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I havenít tried this but being retired I rarely go clothes shopping. I did lose 50lbs over a year ago and bought some new clothes. .
    I knew you lost weight, but I didn't realize it was that much! Congratulations! You deserve those new clothes!

For me, my best move to avoid buying clothes is to avoid Facebook ads. They have me pegged in shooting me ads that reflect my style. Last year I was attracted to one site and bought 3 items. There's another site that I really like where have to fight temptation to buy their stuff. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.

I'm not a clothes horse at all. I wear a "uniform" every day. When I have to replace things I go back to those same sources. I live in an area where most people aren't "stylish." So it's not a challenge for me in general to resist buying clothes unless I truly need something.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Good luck, Molly! I've never done it, but don't like clothes shopping to begin with. I've recently lost weight and, except for a few pieces, am just using a belt until I'm sure the weight will stay off. LOL. Again, wishing you the best of luck.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

When I stopped working in April of 2020, I decided I had no need of any more clothing. Since then, I've bought one pair of house-shoes for $5, and then ended up giving them away. I've received 4 new t-shirts and some holiday socks as gifts, and had three more second hand shirts given to me. I don't like to shop for clothing, and - pandemic!- so this has been an easy one for me. I have two pair of jeans I now fit in to (woo-hoo on losing weight, everyone!!) once I hem them, so that will keep me going for a bit. I will probably need undies at some point, but for now I'm good. Molly, what specifically tempts you? Can you update what you already have by mixing accessories, changing the details, using a dye-bath? Do you want trendy, or new, or do you just enjoy the shopping experience? For other areas of my life, knowing WHY I "want" helps overcome that want....

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    When are you starting the challenge?
    Now

if shopping for clothes is an issue with the OP, then the challenge is worth it. I very rarely buy new clothes so resisting ads or shopping is not hard for me. I do go thrifting occasionally looking for good quality clothing items as the old ones wear out. I think I am what is called "low-maintenance."

Yes, shoes are the only exception. I have bunions and falling arches and there are only a few styles that fit. I really only have two pairs of shoes that I wear. However, I have a couple of duplicates in storage which I purchased when the styles were being discontinued. So I should be good for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Good luck, Molly! I've never done it, but don't like clothes shopping to begin with. I've recently lost weight and, except for a few pieces, am just using a belt until I'm sure the weight will stay off. LOL. Again, wishing you the best of luck.
    Thanks! As Joe Dominguez would say, clothing is my gazingus pin. I don't gamble, don't drink alcohol, don't like eating in restaurants. Those things aren't hard to stay away from. But clothes shopping....sigh.

Thread Information