Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Another attempt at a "no clothes shopping for a year" challenge

I'm losing weight and so far have been able to shop my closet. However, after another 20 pounds or so, I will have to buy a few things at a time. I will always look at pre-owned first. Our local thrift stores are ok, but I d have pretty good luck on Poshmark.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I'm losing weight and so far have been able to shop my closet. However, after another 20 pounds or so, I will have to buy a few things at a time.
    I've learned my lesson there. When I first joined Weight Watchers 30+ years ago, the common advice was to get rid of your larger size clothing once the weight came off to motivate you to keep it off. Ha! I've gained and lost the same amount of weight over the years and got tired of buying new clothing that fit. Now I keep a small amount of different sizes in storage to accomodate my weight fluctuations. Mostly basics like pants, sweaters and tees that never go out of style.

Sometimes when I put on (or lose) some weight, I will shop eBay or Poshmark for one of my favorite items of clothing, but in a different size. Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes not.

I'm definitely shopping my closet during my no new clothing challenge. I've already pulled items out of my "rarely worn" stack and have even pulled a few items off of my eBay listings. I'm trying to get as much use out of what I already own.

That’s great Becky about losing weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I haven’t tried this but being retired I rarely go clothes shopping. I did lose 50lbs over a year ago and bought some new clothes. I also got lucky and my best friend lost weight too so she gave me a ton of really nice clothes. Maybe give yourself a pass for any absolutely needed item for example if you need a new pair of shoes because your old ones wore out provided of course that you don’t have a bunch more.
    Years ago a good friend of mine lost about 75 lbs which got him back to the weight he had been when he was in college in the late 70's. He had held onto a bunch of clothes from then in the hope that he would once again be that weight so he started wearing them again. It was quite dreadful because, well, 1970's fashion...

That’s funny JP!

Hello, I am new here and stumbled upon this forum as a result from searching about doing a no buy/low buy year, especially when it comes to my clothing shopping addiction. If you are still interested in some accountability, I'd be looking for the same! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by antelopebunny View Post
    Hello, I am new here and stumbled upon this forum as a result from searching about doing a no buy/low buy year, especially when it comes to my clothing shopping addiction. If you are still interested in some accountability, I'd be looking for the same! Thanks!
    Hello and welcome to the forums! I hope you find someone to share accountability. Personally, I really dislike clothing shopping immensely, so I would only be able to post "didn't buy any clothes today" pretty much every day. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I am shooting for a No Buy Year, and clothes are one thing I really don't need to buy. So no more thrift stores for me, because I can't pass up a good deal on anything LL Bean or Lands End. However, I've gained eight pounds in the past year so most of my pants are quite uncomfortably snug on me (menopause sucks!). There are quite a few things that I need to buy during the year to replenish but my best bet is to stay out of stores and just buy what I need without looking at anything else.

Thread Information