Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another attempt at a "no clothes shopping for a year" challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I haven’t tried this but being retired I rarely go clothes shopping. I did lose 50lbs over a year ago and bought some new clothes. I also got lucky and my best friend lost weight too so she gave me a ton of really nice clothes. Maybe give yourself a pass for any absolutely needed item for example if you need a new pair of shoes because your old ones wore out provided of course that you don’t have a bunch more.
    Yes, shoes are the only exception. I have bunions and falling arches and there are only a few styles that fit. I really only have two pairs of shoes that I wear. However, I have a couple of duplicates in storage which I purchased when the styles were being discontinued. So I should be good for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    When I stopped working in April of 2020, I decided I had no need of any more clothing. Since then, I've bought one pair of house-shoes for $5, and then ended up giving them away. I've received 4 new t-shirts and some holiday socks as gifts, and had three more second hand shirts given to me. I don't like to shop for clothing, and - pandemic!- so this has been an easy one for me. I have two pair of jeans I now fit in to (woo-hoo on losing weight, everyone!!) once I hem them, so that will keep me going for a bit. I will probably need undies at some point, but for now I'm good. Molly, what specifically tempts you? Can you update what you already have by mixing accessories, changing the details, using a dye-bath? Do you want trendy, or new, or do you just enjoy the shopping experience? For other areas of my life, knowing WHY I "want" helps overcome that want....
    Interesting questions. I'm a classic type, think L. L. Bean. I am aware that I tend to buy similar looks over and over. So it must be the shopping experience. I spent some time researching this and discovered that I'm probably looking for a dopamine hit. Some people have suggested that I shop at thrift stores when I want something new, but that really doesn't solve the problem. The problem is always wanting something new and I've got to figure out a way to redirect.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I knew you lost weight, but I didn't realize it was that much! Congratulations! You deserve those new clothes!

For me, my best move to avoid buying clothes is to avoid Facebook ads. They have me pegged in shooting me ads that reflect my style. Last year I was attracted to one site and bought 3 items. There's another site that I really like where have to fight temptation to buy their stuff. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.

I'm not a clothes horse at all. I wear a "uniform" every day. When I have to replace things I go back to those same sources. I live in an area where most people aren't "stylish." So it's not a challenge for me in general to resist buying clothes unless I truly need something.
    How do you avoid the Facebook ads without avoiding Facebook? You're right, they've got me pegged and I've gone down that rabbit hole too many times. I'm actually thinking of getting off Facebook for a few months just to avoid those ads.

I am intensly competitive, and if I knew someone else was doing this challenge, it would be a huge motivation for me to maintain it. Does anyone know if there are any online challenges I can join? I did some googling, but didn't find anything quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    How do you avoid the Facebook ads without avoiding Facebook? .
    I don't! That's the problem. The only solution is to minimize FB time. But like you, I'm thinking of quitting FB, too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sheesh. Wish you lived near me.. You could go shopping for me. I absolutely HATE clothes shopping. It would solve both our problems. I did go shopping recently and found a few tops to replace the rags I was wearing. I should throw even more out but can't force myself to go shopping again.

Hey.. maybe that could be a side gig for you... shopping for someone else? Would that feed your need to shop?

Haha I know. Like clothes shopping to me almost feels like a virtuous thing to do (pats self on head: you got some clothes, good girl). Ok clothes may not be particularly environmentally sustainable of course, but it's keeping myself presentable to the world, rather than the rags I would almost default to and sometimes do.

A good challenge for me might to be to keep the existing clothes I have in good condition (probably should hang dry them inside more often) for as long as possible, so I only have to buy clothes infrequently, and yet don't end up wearing near rags.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post

Hey.. maybe that could be a side gig for you... shopping for someone else? Would that feed your need to shop?
    No, I'm afraid that would be like asking a recovering alcoholic to buy liquor for someone else. Too many temptations! But I appreciate the suggestion.

Molly, there is often a "No New Clothes in 20xx" challenge on the Mr. Money Mustache Forum. You might want to keep an eye out. I'll try to remember to report back here if I see one started.
    I can't imagine doing no new clothes, but I am planning to try for less in 2022. This year I am currently at 29 in and 29 out, and that seems like a lot of churning for someone who is retired and hasn't changed sizes and has quite a lot of nice clothing already.

Yppej
    Clothes used to be a gazingus pin for me also. The pandemic changed that (not being able go try things on) and when I could again I just didn't have the same desire. I bought some things, and as with a diet I think not having a sense of deprivation is important, but it was only things I really needed.

The other thing that really helped me was changing my peer reference group. I am the only female at my work site now and the guys don't care about clothes. Even if they did I doubt they would compliment me on mine due to the whole Me Too movement. Are you consciously or unconsciously comparing yourself to other people or competing with them over dress?

Thread Information