Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another attempt at a "no clothes shopping for a year" challenge

This year I am currently at 29 in and 29 out
    I think I may be at 5 in this year, wow is the year almost over, it seems it barely started. 3 shirts I think, one pair of shorts (and yes that was replacing one that wore out), one pair of gym pants.

During the year of our pandemic 2020, I think I was in 3 shirts, maybe a pair of shorts, 3 pairs of shoes (shoes were biting the dust on me, I needed them), some bras and underwear I think. I don't only wear shorts (but working from home ...). It's just my pants aren't new.

You see what I mean, when I buy clothes, because I don't do that that often, it's: "good, I'm doing what I should, I look a little less 'down and out' ...", it's almost like when I do my taxes "good, I filed on time this year, no extension"
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Molly, there is often a "No New Clothes in 20xx" challenge on the Mr. Money Mustache Forum. You might want to keep an eye out. I'll try to remember to report back here if I see one started.
    I can't imagine doing no new clothes, but I am planning to try for less in 2022.
    Thanks! That's just what I'm looking for. As I stated earlier, I'm competitive and if others are doing it, that's the drive I need.

I successfully completed a no new clothing challenge about 15 years ago and posted updates on the Simple Living Forum on a monthly basis. But I just haven't been able to do it again. I'm hoping the Mr Money Forum will have one. Maybe at the beginning of 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Are you consciously or unconsciously comparing yourself to other people or competing with them over dress?
    Good question. I've been retired for many years now, and while I don't dress up, I like good quality clothing. I have one chambray shirt, but it was embarrassingly expensive. I have a "fewer, better" philosophy. My closet is a revolving door though. Buying, returning, or selling on eBay. I want to get off this merry-go-round.

A lot of what I purged were items that had been given to me or that I bought at thrift stores. My sister really loves to go thrifting, so I think I often end up going as a social thing, but then I buy things I don't even really want. I've tried to redirect more of our activities this year to things that don't involve shopping.
    I've also been having a harder time lately finding shoes that are a perfect fit, but I think I'm in a good place with shoes for now.

Shoes have definitely been an issue for me. With the last two job being continuously on my feet, I've been on the hunt for comfortable and supportive shoes. In the current job, I also need shoes that are non-slip (wet bathroom floors!). So, I currently have more sneakers now than I've ever own at any point in my life!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

thrifting...but then I buy things I don't even really want. I've also been having a harder time lately finding shoes that are a perfect fit, but I think I'm in a good place with shoes for now.
    That's why I'm also excluding thrifting during my challenge. I find I buy things I don't want or that don't fit correctly because they are so cheap. Also, I'm trying to break the habit of always wanting something new, and to find satisfaction with what I already have.

Shoes are another story, but since most don't fit right, I own very few. I have a normal size foot but with bunions. The toeboxes in most shoes are too narrow, even wides. And wides tend to slip off my heel. I've decided there is nothing wrong with my feet - it's the footwear industry. They base their sizes and styles on certain fit models that only cater to the middle.

One shoe saleswoman pointed out that our feet have depth as well as length and width, which is why the Brannock measuring device is only a starting point.

I think every town needs a cobbler. Someone to makes shoes to fit people's unique foot shapes. This makes so much more sense than the footwear industry churning out shoes trying to guess what people want and what will fit. Too much ends up in landfills.

"One shoe saleswoman pointed out that our feet have depth as well as length and width, which is why the Brannock measuring device is only a starting point." That is so interesting that you mentioned that, Molly. My beloved Merrell clogs don't seem to fit me anymore, at least the new ones don't, and it's like my foot is too tall to fit into the opening comfortably. So either my feet got taller, or Merrell changed the fit, and I suspect it's probably the latter. I recently had some luck with Skecher's, and I got house shoes that I totally love from Keen, plus they are wicked cute! I got the black plaid:
    https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/W-HOW...=1025542&cgid=

I didn’t have a problem with buying unnecessary clothes due to not enough time for shopping.
    Until it came. Going out to buy some bread and milk and coming back home full packed with new clothes (some not even worn once after that).
    Once or twice a year for new shoes and small things now.

1. I started to think three times before buying something and avoiding the malls. ‘If you want to lose weight don’t go to the pastry shop.’
    2. I moved and my new wardrobe is smaller So I could get rid of unnecessary clothes.

But if we put technology here:

1. It is possible to track yourself on the map (any GPS supported by smart gadgets) and check the most visited places and routes. You might avoid some routes that especially keep your eye on glass cases.
    2. Don’t browse the internet for any related news and ads. Try with any hobby searches, technology news, educational programs and so forth, so that they will appear and disturb you. We spend at least 4 hour in daily searching and watching things that we actually do not want.
    3. Make a motivation saving point, going to space?

My beloved Merrell clogs don't seem to fit me anymore, at least the new ones don't, and it's like my foot is too tall to fit into the opening comfortably. So either my feet got taller, or Merrell changed the fit, and I suspect it's probably the latter.
    I'm guessing Merrell changed the fit, too. I never considered deep toe boxes until I started having problems finding shoes that fit. A lot of orthopedic shoes advertise toe boxes that are deep as well as wide.

Well, spank me...I walked into a JC Penney's looking for pillowcases and walked out with new clothing. I had forgotten how they have very basic 100% cotton tops and sweaters so I splurged. At some point, I question the amount of time spent at thrift stores searching for those things so it made sense to buy a few new things. Now I'm done and will refrain. However, I did get a little endorphin rush with having some new things so I get it now.

Thread Information