Thread: Gout

Gout

I woke Wednesday at 0400 to excruciating pain in my ankle. I thought maybe a stress fracture but I didn’t do anything. Rest, ice, compression. Thursday off to doctors with diagnosis of gout. 20mg Prednisone twice daily has helped tremendously. Gout is due to a build up of Uric Acid in the blood resulting in crystals forming in joints. I have kidney disease so this is understandable as my Uric acid levels have rise. I don’t eat a lot of red meat and only have 2-3 beers per month. Should be on mend soon, feeling better already

You have my great sympathies. I had my first, and hopefully only, attack last year, in the big toe, and it was dreadful.

My sympathy.

I had an (undiagnosed) attack of gout last April in my big toe, a common place to experience gout. Very painful! It subsided after a few days.

I have had hints of it in prior times but I never really knew for sure what was going on in those times.

The April attack was brought on by me drinking 4 glasses of wine after a long stint of no drinking plus, I think, walking too long on cement surfaces.

My one and only experience so far was also in my big toe. So painful!!!! You have my sympathies and I hope you heal quickly.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My husband takes allipurinol daily now for prevention. He had 3 bad bouts and was told that each bout does damage...so he's on the prevention. I, of course, feel he should drink more water....but he won't. I think that might help. He eats no seafood any more and avoid turkey, but drinks beer.

My DH has (for me--he's in denial) regular bouts with gout. Besides beer (his usual culprit) he also has to watch his intake of shellfish and legumes.

It's awful. You have my sympathy.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Prednisone for two days brought 90% relief I am cutting down on red meat,I only drink 3-4 beers per month

Thread Information