Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    We're on a dirt road that's a dead end, with no streetlights and 12 houses. Usually no trick or treaters, although I always buy candy (my favorite type) every year just in case. The only time we had trick or treaters was when we first moved here and the neighbors had small children, and that was just one year. I have a new neighbor this year who lives with her 3 and 5 year grandchildren, so I bought a couple of full sized bars just in case they come over. And a bag of candy just in case
    I like the way you think, Herbgeek. We too buy our favorite types of candy for the nonexistent trick-or-treaters, strictly in the interest of avoiding food waste, of course.

LOL. I got one bag of what I like and 1 bag of what I don't like. The hope, of course, is to hand it ALL out! But just in case...
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Dark here. The number of T&Ters has dwindled quite a bit in this neighborhood with the alternatives of church-based celebrations that assiduously avoid invoking the spirit of Halloween while retaining its trappings or locally organized trunk-or-treats or local businesses holding events where no one has to guess about the candy or the amount of snow.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Halloween, a time for ghoulish spectres and zombie invasions.

Yesterday Cori Bush and Adam Shiff were a mere half a block away from my house, dining at our neighborhood restaurant.

scary scary stuff.

DD was telling me that in her neighborhood the trend is for folks to set up card tables at the end of their driveways and hand out candy there. Much more socializing with neighbors and no more doorbell ringing. Has to be decent weather though.

Rosa, that's what we used to do when my mom was still here. Nice for everybody.

We did buy candy, but it's a crapshoot whether we get many kids or not. Last year only a few, naturally. But this year people seem a bit more willing to be out. We live in a large neighborhood and there's a Section 8 neighborhood across the boulevard. So there's potential. If we run out of candy, we'll put out the lights. If we have leftover, I'll take it to the grandkids and let their mother deal with it. Just so it's out of my house.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    DD was telling me that in her neighborhood the trend is for folks to set up card tables at the end of their driveways and hand out candy there. Much more socializing with neighbors and no more doorbell ringing. Has to be decent weather though.
    I had a flier in my screen door promoting something similar for the nieghborhood. Seeing as how it's 40 degrees and threatening showers, plus prime football on TV, I don't expect much.

Dh handled the trick-or-treating here while I was visiting two sisters - one just had surgery. The town where they were really did up Halloween and it was wonderful to see! They blocked off several blocks of her street and even the parents dressed up with their kids. It was quite a sight. Dh said it was short and sweet here at home, but not that many kids.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Just had to share this; it still makes me smile, and if you go dark on Halloween you don't get to have this kind of experience:

I answered the door to two tween-ish, maybe a bit younger girls in full costume. One was leaning on the doorbell and when I opened the door she cried, "PEEKABOO!!! " then she said, "I mean BOO...I mean peekaboo, I mean trick or treat!"

As I chatted with them I could see that she was probably a bit on the spectrum. All the kids this year seemed to be so happy to be able to be out and about.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

That is so sweet, Kay!

Thread Information