Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutziness Costs Money

Clutziness Costs Money

I type this after a day of being laid up in pretty extreme pain on the couch after a trip to the ER yesterday. As some may know, I have been working really hard the past few weeks trying to get the gallery closed and cleaned out before the closing date in November. It's all going very well, ahead of schedule even, because I am not one to leave things to the last minute.

I finally started taking some time off and to do some stuff around the house. Yesterday, I was tackling the pruning of the invasive salt cedar bushes and generated a lot of brush, huge piles of brush. My goal for the day was to make our outdoor fire pit area ready for bonfires and beers with neighbors. I worked pretty hard at it for a few hours, and the last things I wanted to do was carry some folding chairs to the backyard (this is not a "normal" suburban backyard, rather it is high desert mesa scrub, which is very rocky with lots of vegetation that can hurt you with spines and prickers). Anyway, I was carrying the last folding chair and a bottle of soda up the little incline to the backyard and neglected to watch where i was stepping.

The next thing I knew I was violently hurtling toward the ground because I tripped on the bush I had pruned almost to the ground the other day. I impaled my lower right leg on a piece of pruned branch sticking up out of the ground. I knew it was really bad when I pulled my leg off the branch and blood and serum was pouring out...

Luckily my husband had just returned from taking a load of brush to the brush pile and saw me crumpled on the ground, kind of in shock and sobbing. I cannot believe anything could hurt so bad. I ended up going in an ambulance to the hospital in Santa Fe because it is a 30 minute drive and he gets very panicky and drives way too fast and could cause an accident. It was the right thing to do even though I know the bill is going to be big, along with the ER bill as well. At least no bones are broken but the 1/2 diameter pruned-off branch went in about an inch so it definitely needed a sterile cleaning out, a shot of antibiotics. I needed a shot of morphine in order to get it cleaned out.

I have been almost completely immobile today, couldn't even use crutches in the house because of all the steps to the different levels. I am parked on the couch downstairs so I can get to the bathroom. I ended up borrowing a walker from someone in town which is a bit easier to deal with. It's all very hard on my hands and writs though.

I really wish these crazy things would stop happening to me. I tripped on our stairs two weeks ago and landed on my hands and wrists then too. I always wonder what it is about me that I seem to be so clutzy, always have been.
    Last edited by SiouzQ.; 11-1-21 at 2:36pm.

OMG. So sorry to hear. Get well soon.

Oh, no! I'm so sorry! Glad that hubby was nearby and you were able to get to the hospital. Hugs and prayers for quick healing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That’s awful! I am so sorry. I have always been a fast moving klutz. In the past 7 years I broke a finger, wrist, ribs and had a concussion. The last time I fell was 3 years ago. I decided I needed to slow down and look down when I walk. A few months ago I started to take gentle chair yoga where you stand up or sit in a chair. My balance is definitely improving.

Well that is bad news!

Oh no, that sounds so painful! I hope you feel better soon.

What an awful injury--I hope you can feel better soon. I wonder if there is something you can do about the tripping, like why does this happen--do you think there is something going on with your balance, or would glasses help? Just wondering as I have noticed as I get older, my body works differently, and I can't move as quickly anymore.

Well, that certainly was a rude wakeup call! I hope your convalescence proceeds without incident.

Ugh, that puncture sounds just awful! Take good care of that. I agree with Tybee...maybe work on your balance? Do you do yoga or Tai Chi?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

In my case it was moving too quickly. As soon as I slowed down I never fell again.

Thread Information