Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Election Day

Election Day

So there are a few interesting things coming up tomorrow. Virginia may give us an indication of whether running against Trump rather than your opponent is a viable strategy. Although the waters there are a bit muddied by fake tiki torchers and school board kerfuffles, so it may not be a perfect test.

And I understand Minneapolis will be voting on replacing their police department with a department of public safety, which will employ police officers “if necessary”.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So there are a few interesting things coming up tomorrow. Virginia may give us an indication of whether running against Trump rather than your opponent is a viable strategy. Although the waters there are a bit muddied by fake tiki torchers and school board kerfuffles, so it may not be a perfect test.

And I understand Minneapolis will be voting on replacing their police department with a department of public safety, which will employ police officers “if necessary”.
    Oh yes. We have a Department of Public Safety here in St. Louis. Most here are aware or how “safe” it is here in my city.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I lit a candle that Minneapolis does away with their issues ridden perhaps no longer insurable Minneapolis PD. This could be a start to.a better America. Fingers crossed. Rob

I've been reading about all the craziness around school boards and the desire of some to cancel the teaching of history but not about the tiki torch event. Thanks for alerting me.

Perhaps Minneapolis should just institute a vaccine mandate for cops. That seems to be the easiest way to reduce their numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I've been reading about all the craziness around school boards and the desire of some to cancel the teaching of history but not about the tiki torch event. Thanks for alerting me.

Perhaps Minneapolis should just institute a vaccine mandate for cops. That seems to be the easiest way to reduce their numbers...
    Yes--and the ones most likely to bail out are likely Trumpists, racists, and malcontents. IMO.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Good idea! Rob

I don’t think it was “history” per se they objected to; otherwise we would have heard something from them in the previous couple of centuries. I think it was the current fad in race based ideology. But not to worry, the FBI will soon see to those domestic terrorists. Of course, McAuliffe, true to the haughty hypocrisy of his Clintonian roots, needed to weigh in on not letting parents make decisions on education. This carried special import due to his sending his own children to a private school with seventeen parent committees.

When he wasn’t getting the traction he hoped for from the traditional “racist dog whistle” allegation, some supporters hired a clutch of white supremacy cosplayers in an attempt to drive the point home. You can’t blame them for trying, but it remains to be seen if the voters will be impressed.

As to Minneapolis, it looks like less formal efforts to de-support and demoralize the cops have already succeeded in driving many away, as evidenced by the recent spike in violence there. If this referendum, which seems to be more popular in safer, paler neighborhoods than the ones who will bleed the most, passes, that trend seems likely to continue if not accelerate.

It’s not all history that they want to cancel. Just that part of history that makes the white snowflakes feel bad because of how prior generations of white folks treated non-white folks.

While I doubt slavery and it’s consequences was a closely guarded secret before CRT, I think the dissatisfaction with schools went beyond that. There were a number of issues, but the dismissive stance struck by the schools, the unions and McAuliffe himself can’t have set well with the electorate.

Simply slapping a MAGA hat on your opposition and calling them racist doesn’t seem to have been a winning strategy. If the Democrats don’t learn that lesson, 2022 will be a pretty bleak year for them.

CRT is a lot like Antifa--They're both almost completely marginal in any other context, but they're effective used as a straw man, apparently.

Thread Information