Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Election Day

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s one of those jobs where you have to listen to anyone with a grievance, now matter how insane. Ridiculous demands can be pretty common, along with legitimate needs you simply don’t have the resources for. Clueless state and federal mandates add to the joys of the job. I admire anyone willing to serve at the level of government that actually does things.
    We have been fortunate in the 30+ years I’ve lived here to have excellent alderman. Every one of them has been good and responsive.

St. Louis is undergoing a scary change, scary to the board of alderman: they are having to cut themselves in half in number. This was a movement started by the voters more than 10 years ago. So the fiefdoms are being increased but the number of small kings is being decimated. The battle for remaining seats at the next election will be horrific.The proposed aldermanic board lines have been drawn proudly by the powers that be as “seven black wards and seven white wards.” To put a racial spin on it as we must do in the ‘Lou.

Our own excellent alderman who is a white man and is therefore seen as a Republican and I suppose he sort of is in a way, even though there are no Republicans in city government, will be fighting for his life. He barely squeaked by last time when challenged by a nobody.

In the 1960’s my dad was the first blue collar alderman in Kenosha. It was a part time job. He ran because his alderman wouldn’t listen to his concern of needing a stop sign and the alderman told him that he didn’t need his vote because he was unbeatable. He ran 3xs before he beat him. Every year for 16 years my dad went door to door to talk to his constituents. Twice a year we put flyers in the doors updating everyone on what was happening.

Despite the rich people in power changing the boundaries of his ward 3xs having him run against other alderman he never lost. If someone called with a problem he immediately drove over after work. He finally had to resign due to ill health. He taught others how to run using his personal touch and helped elect Kenosha’s first blue collar mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    In the 1960’s my dad was the first blue collar alderman in Kenosha. It was a part time job. He ran because his alderman wouldn’t listen to his concern of needing a stop sign and the alderman told him that he didn’t need his vote because he was unbeatable. He ran 3xs before he beat him. Every year for 16 years my dad went door to door to talk to his constituents. Twice a year we put flyers in the doors updating everyone on what was happening.

Despite the rich people in power changing the boundaries of his ward 3xs having him run against other alderman he never lost. If someone called with a problem he immediately drove over after work. He finally had to resign due to ill health. He taught others how to run using his personal touch and helped elect Kenosha’s first blue collar mayor.
    What a cool story, Terry. It sounds like your dad was a great guy!

Thanks Rosa. He actually was awesome and last time I was in Kenosha my friends were reminiscing about how he would always drive us places and have all of us singing songs from the 40’s with him. He was lots of fun.

That is great, hearing about your dad’s work as Alderman. Sounds like he was really good at it.

It was his happy place as he was a tool grinder in a auto factory and didn’t like his job. He was also president of the conservation club and a union steward. He was always upbeat and happy and never met a stranger. He ended up on a great committee and got some great trips for city business and conferences. My mom and dad and 500 others were in The White House and had dinner with Lyndon Johnson when he was president. He absolutely loved taking care of his ward and so responsive which is why no one could beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It was his happy place as he was a tool grinder in a auto factory and didn’t like his job. He was also president of the conservation club and a union steward. He was always upbeat and happy and never met a stranger. He ended up on a great committee and got some great trips for city business and conferences. My mom and dad and 500 others were in The White House and had dinner with Lyndon Johnson when he was president. He absolutely loved taking care of his ward and so responsive which is why no one could beat him.
    Sounds like such a great guy! Shows that you don't have to "prove yourself" through your paid employment. You can serve in so many ways, just as your dad did. Inspirational!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I will say one thing about Virginia's election - I find it highly ironic and entertaining that the underage son of the Republican winner Youngkin - who ran on a platform including "election integrity" - tried to vote illegally .... not just once, but twice! That would have been voter fraud.

Durr, a truck driver upset that he was denied a gun permit, spent $153 in his primary and went on to beat the longest serving state senate president in New Jersey.

Also in New Jersey a 19 year upset over missing out on senior year activities due to covid lockdowns beats an incumbent school board member.

Watch out all you blue state dictators.

Next week I, a two time Bernie, Ralph Nader, blue as can be voter in years past will attend my first meeting of the city Republican committee, because one of their members stood with me in speaking out against the mask mandate forced on fully vaccinated people. Enough is enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Durr, a truck driver upset that he was denied a gun permit, spent $153 in his primary and went on to beat the longest serving state senate president in New Jersey.

Also in New Jersey a 19 year upset over missing out on senior year activities due to covid lockdowns beats an incumbent school board member.

Watch out all you blue state dictators.
    Yeah, my son, a Poli Sci major and lawyer for the State of NJ for years was really taken aback by the NJ election. I think it's because of the way the wind is blowing at the moment--not because of masks. But we'll see. It's a long way to 2024.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information