Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Election Day

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Don't know why but this statement made me think of the question... is ours the only country where a candidate can receive/win the majority of the popular votes from the citizens, yet still lose the election?
    Many European leaders of their country are not even voted on by the people. Consider that.

I see President Daniel Ortega of Nicaragua has won a fifth term with an overwhelming majority. As did his Vice President and wife. Of course, most of the potential opposition candidates are currently being detained. North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, and the Russian Federation also use direct elections as an expression of the will of the people.

Yppej
    Last night I definitely felt like I live in a one party state though of course I do not. Went to a Republican City Committee meeting. It was moved from the original venue of a sympathetic business because it went permanently out of business to a dank smelly basement of another establishment. The guest speaker was a woman who brought three female friends, but other than that I was the only woman. There were five men. I was probably tied with two of the men for youngest person there. Many were seniors and they didn't follow the agenda, instead spending their time grousing about how much better things were in the good old days. In a very diverse city everyone was white. I asked one question and it went completely over their heads. So I didn't bother trying to recruit support for my mask mandate battle.

I got home and emailed the state Libertarian group.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Many European leaders of their country are not even voted on by the people. Consider that.
    Yes, that true. I was thinking more along the lines of countries that actually held elections similar to ours. One-person, one-vote type thing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There were a number of issues, but the dismissive stance struck by the schools, the unions and McAuliffe himself can’t have set well with the electorate.
    From that, to school board members in virginia supporting the idea of book burning in just a couple of weeks. Perhaps Virginia and Texas will race to see who can repurpose their fire departments to be more fahrenheit 451 style.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-conservative/

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If the dems had put up Mayor Pete, I MIGHT have even pulled that Blue lever. Maybe.

I said here many times how I voted in the Presidential election, and it was not Trump either time. But it wasn’t the official Democratic candidate either.

Neither party gave me a viable choice.
    I very much respect that you, as a Conservative, did not auto-support DJT. We don't often agree, IL - but here I very much respect your take. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I very much respect that you, as a Conservative, did not auto-support DJT. We don't often agree, IL - but here I very much respect your take. Rob
    Ok, that’s nice.

Thread Information