Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solutions for climate change

Solutions for climate change

Hello, I thought it would be useful to have a discussion in one thread for the pros and cons, done and undone, promised and coming solutions for climate change.

1. Technical solutions look obvious and necessary.
    The overall model of climate change prediction is very complicated and it has a lot of missing data (because of the lack of specific satellites coverage and on-earth probes).

This year scientific-engineering groups have launched more data collection probes to oceans. There is a planned launch of satellites aimed for data CO2 3D atmospheric data collection, simply we don’t have the full understanding of it’s behaviour and exact influence.

2. Global awareness and local actions. Fires, floods and extremely hot weather this year is the fact.
    Environmental awareness not only shows growth in the media, but also takes its steps.

Local ecosystems need specific surveillance from space and on earth.
    This is the case of ‘the more the better’, when it comes to the complex math models giving leverages for climate control. Driving force for the largest industries and everyday personal life.

3. Energy sources should consider all the possibilities with the pro’s and con’s: solar, wind, tidal, nuclear. On national and international level decisions, proactiveness and the ‘safety first’ consideration.

4 Personal lifestyle. For some extremes we should be ready to go out of our comfort zone, look around and reconsider lifestyle.

Personal contribution, local actions and reports, the technology on a global level.
    We already have all we need to work on climate change, do not sit and wait.

5. Education from secondary school till career start should teach the future generations of technology experts ways to develop and control the most influential areas: power source, space, communication industries (as space placements in industry).

1) Uninvent agriculture

I feel I have most control over #4 Personal lifestyle. I have been trying to make changes within my own household and will continue to do so moving forward. It may be "just me", but I'm looking at it from the perspective that every little bit helps.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I agree with happy stuff. My morning shower thoughts on this topic are that we are quick to blame corporations and politicians for the mess we are in but...we are the ones who continually support the existing paradigms. So many things need to change but innovation moves slowly and the majority of people don't give it a second thought.

We have the most control over personal lifestyle but it also has the least impact.

I often tried to combine trips etc.. but when work from home started in the pandemic, only then did my gasoline consumption fall by 3/4s, combing trips was a drop in the bucket in comparison. And that wasn't my personal lifestyle, that was a (pandemic driven) large societal change. I cut back on other driving too, it was a pandemic, but a great deal of driving is commuting. Now everyone could just move within walking distance of work I suppose and achieve the same thing (the catch there is they have to keep moving every time they change jobs and if it's a two income couple living together may as well just forget it, because the odds are very low they both get jobs within walking distance).
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I disagree on "the more the better" with studies. We know what is wrong already. More models and data will not convince climate science deniers.

Zero or negative population growth would have the biggest impact in my opinion. Providing birth control on demand throughout the world would be one step in that direction.

It probably doesn't help that I see personal consumption as some minor thing that may make the least possible impact but complicates one's life vastly. Wait the ultimate example of that is recycling isn't it? It's larger policy, not individual choices, that mean there are no convenient options for renters to recycle. But one could drive at least a 20 mile round trip to recycle, and then it may not even get recycled ... I've done it but, not since the pandemic.

Things like not flying, well I don't. Things like switching to all electric for cooking and cancelling the gas bill might make sense as they straight out deny revenue to industries like natural gas that need to go away. And yes let's assume a rental that one can't rewire and so it's toaster ovens and instapots etc.. But then if it also has a water heater, you probably can't entirely eliminate the gas bill, unless you want those showers to be cold.

Zero or negative population growth would have the biggest impact in my opinion. Providing birth control on demand throughout the world would be one step in that direction.
    the problem with that is not that population control isn't needed, but that many don't think it can have an impact fast enough to matter enough for climate change.

Your list in the OP is pretty comprehessive, but to play off Bae's tongue-in-cheek comment, any common list or analysis of global warming causes that I have seen has agriculture among the top few contributors. We need to change how food is produced, or what we eat, or both. There should be better ways to segregate the vital few from the trivial many and focus on those.

I don't think the planet can sustain our current levels of consumption and growth regardless of how green the energy or raw material source is wihout significantly damaging ecosystems and the general human conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    We have the most control over personal lifestyle but it also has the least impact.
    Maybe, maybe not. I like to think/hope that the actions of enough people DO make a difference. Me NOT buying or using plastic water bottles is keeping more plastic water bottles out of the cycle. Add even a few others doing it and it's a start. Example is plastic grocery bags. Yes, they are still used, but how many people now actually take their own reusable bags?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information