Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Road Trips in Every State

Best Road Trips in Every State

Not sure if "travel" posts fit into a "transportation" forum, but I guess it's close enough.

I like this article: food for thought.

a) It's a good resource for road trips.
    b) It has a good mix of the natural, the urban, and the whimsical.
    c) Unlike most slideshows, it has no advertisements and pages load quickly

What are your thoughts about the pick for your state? Do you agree? If not, what would you have said? Add to the ideas for future road trips!

As for me, I evaluated the choices for the 4 states I've lived in:

CT: Yes, good choice
    NJ: Yes, good choice
    NY: Never heard of it, but I'm game! Glad they didn't default to Central Park
    VT: Yes, good choice

From my perspective, other choices would have been:

CT: Gilette's Castle/ Essex / Any of the public beaches like Hammonasset.
    NJ: Princeton, Grounds for Sculpture, Liberty State Park
    NY: Hudson River Valley (hard to pick one spot), Hudson (the town), Manhattan (come on, you have to at least see Manhattan)
    VT: Manchester, Rt. 100 (runs North/South and is one of the most scenic routes in the US), Mt Philo and/or Mt. Mansfield, Stowe, Weston Priory for the religious.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Neat article. I like that they are not all the common ones you have heard of, but for Georgia, this would not be my first choice, but I am an ocean person, not a mountain person. I have never been to Picture Rocks in Michigan but would love to go. I appreciated that you could just scroll through and think it's a good resource.

MD- excellent choice. Assateague is our favorite stop in Ocean City, MD

Of those I'm most familiar, they are not particulary poor choices but well known and somewhat popular. At least they didn't mentioned the typical tourist destinations near ski areas and expenive mountain resorts for Colorado. There are far better places for leisurly travel on back roads or to out of the way places, but might be good for people just driving through or near abundant accomodations. My exception would be Nine Mile Canyon in Utah which has been on my travel wish list one or twice.

CO - No
    NM - No
    ID- No
    UT- Yes

In my opinion, almost anyplace along the Oregon coast would be more picturesque than Multnomah Falls*. though the trip up there through the Gorge is undeniably scenic.

*Better yet, a drive south along the coast, starting at Astoria.

In Washington, I might choose the drive from Seattle to Leavenworth through the Cascades, or an expedition to the Hoh Rainforest--which--lamentably--I've never visited.

Dumb, obvious choice for Missouri: The Arch in St. louis.

The choices for Iowa and New Mexico, the other states where I have lived, are decent.

Fl: Extra points for not picking the Florida Keys/ Key West.
    NC: also a good choice

Nevada’s was stupid. Who wants to look at naked mountains and a pile of painted rocks. Lake Tahoe is the obvious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    In my opinion, almost anyplace along the Oregon coast would be more picturesque than Multnomah Falls*. though the trip up there through the Gorge is undeniably scenic.

*Better yet, a drive south along the coast, starting at Astoria.

In Washington, I might choose the drive from Seattle to Leavenworth through the Cascades, or an expedition to the Hoh Rainforest--which--lamentably--I've never visited.
    Agree with you on Multnomah Falls...meh. Oregon has multiple possibilities for the list, as does Washington. I agree the Hoh forest and Olympic Peninsula would be higher on the list than the one they picked, simply because fewer people. But, can't go wrong with your pick or theirs either.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

For MA, I would have gone with the Mohawk Trail in the northern Berkshires rather than the Freedom Trail in Boston. Boston doesn't lend itself to a road trip with its bumper-to-bumper gridlock traffic.

Thread Information